• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Alphonso Mangoes in Vancouver?

Is it possible to find Alphonso mangoes in Vancouver somewhere fairly regularly? Here in the states we somehow don't have access to them (thanks FDA!).

I will actually fly out to Vancouver to pig out on the mangoes if someone can let me know that they'll be around. :)

I saw them at Urban Fare last weekend, never bought them there as they never smell as good as the ones at the Chinese supermarkets. Haven't been produce shopping recently but if they're at UF, they should be easy to find elsewhere in town.

I saw them at Urban Fare last weekend, never bought them there as they never smell as good as the ones at the Chinese supermarkets.

That could be because they're too cold to smell right-a Mango must be warm to have that 'certain smell'.

BTW-a geek-it'll cost you plane fare and more to eat Mangoes from Urban Fare-a very pricey place http://www.urbanfare.com/home.htm

I was just there today-some of the prices are decent/competitive many are downright usurious IMO.

I think a geek just wants some alphonse mangoes. Go to chinatown, t&t supermarket, other Asian markets, or even Superstore. Urban Fare is too sterile and, as Sam Salmon pointed out, too expensive.

• 1 month later...

What's the mango outlook in Vancouver for the next 2 weeks? I'm going to be there and was hoping to sit down and gorge myself before returning fat and happy back to my miserable hovel in California.

I love cold Dinty Moore beef stew. It is like dog food! And I am like a dog.

--NeroW

unfortunately for you, north america gets its mangoes from mexico..alphanso can be spotted in most american-indian grocery store for a *very* short window of time...a whole carton for under $15!...most of the alphonso variety goes to the middle east where they are quite crazy about it...they export most of it there from india..there is very few left for the indians is what i hear....fond memories are triggered by constant mango references from india...its the season, it seems..i was the youngest..i always got the fat, fleshy seeds...i dont recall the distant echoes of my youth, but i'll always remember coming home to the golden fruit...and digging teeth into the succulent flesh as the juices flow right down the elbows..and if i was *really* good(translate that as pitching in for extra duty after the afternoon meals), my grandmother would set aside an extra slice of mango...that was a good incentive..

What's the mango outlook in Vancouver for the next 2 weeks?  I'm going to be there and was hoping to sit down and gorge myself before returning fat and happy back to my miserable hovel in California.

Try Phillipine mangoes, sometimes sold as Manila mangoes. Though I haven't checked any smaller Asian green grocers, they're available at an Asian supermarket called "T & T" as well as at Filipino food stores that sell produce. Unlike Mexican mangoes which are fairly large and quite fibrous, these are smaller in size and have very tender flesh. Exceedingly sweet and juicy. Personally, I only buy Mexican mangoes when I'm absolutely desperate for the mango taste and am willing to pay through the nose for them. If Philippine mangoes are in season... right now... I usually pick up at least half a dozen at a time as they don't last for long in our household. When I bought some on the weekend, they were $1.69/lb... now that's cheap, especially for Vancouver.

Happy mango hunting and enjoy Vancouver.

:smile:

Joie Alvaro Kent

"I like rice. Rice is great if you're hungry and want 2,000 of something." ~ Mitch Hedberg