• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Restaurants for romance, restaurants with friends

Ruby

For the record, I've taken a date to Cafe Gray. She loved it. (In fact, she really loved it: "I can't believe I'm eating Gray Kunz food!" "This risotto is fantastic!") (Of course she was exclaiming. How else was I going to hear her over the din?). I was irritated as usual (but the food was fabulous).

Edited by Sneakeater (log)

True.  I've also found rich's place an excellent spot to take dates.  Although Staten Island is a bit inconvenient.

I'm serious here. I would love to have you or any other egullet member to my house for dinner. I had made this offer once before (a few years ago) and Rachel and Jason considered it, but we coudln't work out a mutual time.

Sneak - I would happily cook for you and a date - I think it could be great fun. And Staten Island isn't that inconvenient for Brooklynites.

The view from my terrace (top floor) is spectacular ( I serve sparkling wine and caviar from there in the summer). And if that doesn't impress your date, there's my first course - parsnip ice cream with roasted eggplant puree and seared scallop that will certainly overwhelm her.

Rich Schulhoff

Opinions are like friends, everyone has some but what matters is how you respect them!

Wait a minute.  I'm having a hard time understanding how it helps me for my date to be impressed with your house and your cooking.

That you were able to find a unique setting that isn't available to the general public - that should score some serious points. :wink:

Rich Schulhoff

Opinions are like friends, everyone has some but what matters is how you respect them!

I havent gone on many dates.. But when I would, I would take them to Saka Gura. It was a place I knew she most likely hadnt heard of.. I knew the staff well and they had interesting types of sake.. It was quiet, romantic, and exotic.. Place is just a homerun...

Edited by Daniel (log)

• 3 weeks later...