• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Company for dinner on May 1?

Alex

I'll be visiting my cousins in DC May 1-4. They have a prior engagement for the 1st, though, so I'll be on my own for dinner. Might anyone be interested in joining me?

They live in Cathedral Heights, but I'm willing to travel most anywhere within reasonable reach of Metro or bus. (I'm not sure if their car is borrow-able that night.)

My preferences: 7 p.m. or later; under $75 or so, including wine and tip; not Restaurant Eve (I'm going there for lunch on the 4th, if anyone would like to join me then); not Zaytinya; not Thai, Chinese, or Japanese (I like them, just not in the mood).

Thoughts: Corduroy; Nectar; any of the Cleveland Park places; Cafe Atlantico (regular or chef's menu, not the mini-bar); Ginger Cove/Reef; Firefly.

Anyone?

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

welcome alex! you've either got cousins with good taste or have done some substantial research on the morass we call the d.c. thread--good picks! I'm otherwise committed on the first, but you should do well wherever you go.

welcome alex!  you've either got cousins with good taste or have done some substantial research on the morass we call the d.c. thread--good picks!  I'm otherwise committed on the first, but you should do well wherever you go.

Thanks, babka. We've visited DC perhaps a dozen times in the past seven years. We've been to Cafe Atlantico, Yanyu, Indique, Lavandou, and Ardeo -- some of them multiple times -- but not the others on the list. I do my research, but my cousins also are very much into good food and wine. Their wine cellar is a treasure trove of older Burgundies. :envy:

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

Alex,

You must stop into Firefly for lunch to sample Chef Wabeck's already legendary crise cardiac grilled Ham and Cheese samwich.

I've had this, and it must surely rank right up there with the single most fattening sandwiches I have ever eaten, Carnegie Deli's Broadway Danny Rose notwithstanding. If this sandwich (served with potato salad, if I remember correctly) doesn't have 2,000 calories, then nothing does.

A couple days ago I had lunch at Smith and Clarkson's Deli in Springfield, and they actually have a menu item called a Cardiac Arrest Scramble: an omelet, made with three eggs, crisp bacon, cream cheese, and home fries (also available on a sub roll). I opted for the Dagwood (a triple-decker hot corned beef, pastrami, melted Swiss cheese, cole slaw and Russian dressing sandwich served on rye bread, dripping, gooey and weighing at least two pounds) and an order of excellent housemade potato chips. I was locked out, tired, pissed, and scarfed the entire thing sitting in my driveway while waiting for the locksmith to open the door.

Still retaining more water than the Aswan Dam,

Rocks.

Alex,

You must stop into Firefly for lunch to sample Chef Wabeck's already legendary crise cardiac grilled Ham and Cheese samwich.

[from DonRocks] I've had this, and it must surely rank right up there with the single most fattening sandwiches I have ever eaten, Carnegie Deli's Broadway Danny Rose notwithstanding. If this sandwich (served with potato salad, if I remember correctly) doesn't have 2,000 calories, then nothing does.

Yikes! By myself?!

Thanks to Don's very useful feedback via PM, it'll be the café/bar menu at Palena at about 6:00 on the 1st. If anyone would like to join me on the spur of the moment, I do look like my avatar, but without the carrot cake.

• 2 weeks later...

I did indeed wind up at Palena. I got there at about 6:30 and lucked into the last available small table in the bar area. DonRocks said to ask for Derek, the manager. I approached a likely looking candidate, who indeed was Derek and who, to my surprise, said that he'd been expecting me. :cool: He said that even though he's not a member, he takes a look at eGullet every week or two.

At his recommendation, I started with the Antipasto Primavera -- a piece each of house smoked salmon and terrific buffalo mozzarella (and some greens, I think), with a green almond condiment tying things together. I followed with the stuffed lamb. 'Twas tasty, but not as wonderful as I had anticipated. However, the accompanying ravioli and fava beans were super.

Derek's wine recommendations were spot on. He also facilitated a sorbet plate dessert that wasn't on the menu. There was an unexpected and very tasty lagniappe, which I'll save for another thread.