• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Favorite Specials?

Rake Yohn

Long time lurker, first time topic originator.

Just wondering what some of your favorite weekly specials are here in DC? For example, 1/2 price bottles of wine at Andale, Bistro Francais's dinner deal, lunch prix fixes, etc.

I'm looking to put together a little DC guidebook for my fiance', who is moving down here from NYC, and thought this would be a nice addition...

Thanks!

What a great idea--and how sweet (LiamdC where are you??)! I'd also love to hear your thoughts on this, as I'm spending the summer in DC, leaving my sweet-home Philly to do so...Incentives please!

Food is a convenient way for ordinary people to experience extraordinary pleasure, to live it up a bit.

-- William Grimes

Adega in Silver Spring has a happy hour from 4-8 weekdays. They have apps for $5 that are really generous. The typical items are fabulous mini-burgers, a bruschetta platter, mini flatbreads - ALL YUM

Wines by the glass and beer are $2 a pop, with a nice though limited selection. Outdoor seating is available, but no alcohol allowed outside. I love this place! Atmosphere is low-key, the apps and burgers are great, and the wine is cheap. Perfect for an i-don't-want-to-cook night.

Be prepared, however, for wine served in plastic glasses.

Discounted fruity drinks at Matchbox...free pizza at Ella's during happy hour...super-cheap beer at Lucky Bar (stick with the bottles - trust me)...$1 food plates until 7 pm at Savino's (yum, meatballs on Friday)...

These are a few of my favorite things.

Legal Seafoods (not the one by MCI) has a $3 top-shelf martini happy hour. Sign of the Whale has free real roast turkey, actually carved off the bone and juicy as hell, on Thursdays and a free wing/nacho/assorted bar food buffet on Fridays.

Citronelle has announced half-price wines and a free appetizer to anyone mentioning that they're from eGullet, something about "getting the word out to the community." Just ask for the sommelier.

I'm Only Kidding!

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

If someone writes a book about restaurants and nobody reads it, will it produce a 10 page thread?

Joe W

Discounted fruity drinks at Matchbox...free pizza at Ella's during happy hour...super-cheap beer at Lucky Bar (stick with the bottles - trust me)...$1 food plates until 7 pm at Savino's (yum, meatballs on Friday)...

These are a few of my favorite things.

Lucky bar is great, but you're right, the taps do scare me. They are more than a little haggard. Stetson's is my favorite "dive", by far.

Any good lunch or dinner specials I'm missing?

If you're feeling mid-scale on a Monday night, it's byob night at Lavandou in Cleveland Park. Order dinner and bring your own wine, for a substantial savings on the total check, not to mention a much greater wine list.

If you're feelin up-scale on a Friday night (and they continue the tradion) Sam and Harry's steakhouse on 19th Street offers half-off their wine list on Fridays and Saturdays between Memorial Day and Labor Day. The wine list doesn't have the depth of, say, Citronelle, but if you're looking for a powerhouse California Red that you couldn't normally afford (or even find), it's worth a visit.

I'm on the pavement

Thinking about the government.