• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

El Pollo Loco

chefboy2160

Hi everyone! Out here in the western USA there is a chain of restaurants named el pollo loco. There chicken is citrus marinated and char broiled to perfection . Its served with salsa , tortillas and beans. I have tried for years to duplicate this technique at home by marinating my chicken in orange juice , lemon juice , lime juice, pineapple juice with some diced onion, garlic, jalapeno pepper and cilantro. along with a little olive oil, salt and pepper. The results are good but I am not able to exactly duplicate this recipe. If any one has any advice on this matter I would sure appreciate it as this is such a great summer time meal off of the BBQ.

Thanks,Doug........

The two most common things in the universe are hydrogen and stupidity!

You might want to Google and look for information on Peruvian cooking in general - the marinade is likely used on more than just chicken. I used to get used to get chicken at an independent restaurant that was also called Pollo Loco on the Upper East Side in NYC. It was Peruvian and had this very style of chicken that you describe. They went under and were replaced by another Peruvian place, Pio Pio, whose chicken is just as good. I enjoy and on occasion buy Dominican and Puerto Rican rotisserie grilled chicken but it never matches the Peruvian style.

I suggest starting with this

Epicurious Peruvian Grilled Chicken thread

be sure to read through to the final reply on the thread. The recipe listed is supposedly the one from Pollo Loco in NYC but there are apparently a couple of crucial spices/herbs not listed in the recipe but quite possibly used. The final part of the thread has information on these two items.

I actually happened upon that recipe nearly 10 years ago. I can't even begin to recall the exact ingredients. However, over the years I have used a recipe similar to the one you are trying with satifactory results (for me at least). The only glaring differences I see between the way you and I do it is that I use ALOT of cumin and don't use pineapple juice.

I split the whole bird down the back and marinate for up to 8 hours then grill SLOWLY until the bird is falling apart and crispy outside.

Dave Valentin

Retired Explosive Detection K9 Handler

"So, what if we've got it all backwards?" asks my son.

"Got what backwards?" I ask.

"What if chicken tastes like rattlesnake?" My son, the Einstein of the family.

A friend that lived in Southern California gave me this recipe. She said it had appeared in one of the newspapers out there. I don't know if it's the "real thing," and although I keep meaning to try it, haven't yet.

El Pollo Loco was our favorite chicken place when we lived in Redlands, Ca, and in Tucson. So hope that if you try it, you'll let us know.

Pollo Loco Marinade

6 oz pineapple juice

2 T lime juice

1 T white vinegar

2 cloves garlic, mashed & minced

1/2 tsp salt

1/2 tsp dried oregano (preferably Mexican), crumbled

1/8 tsp ground pepper

1/4 tsp mild chili pepper (Anaheim or California), stem & seeds removed, finely minced

8 drops yellow food coloring, optional (but accurate)

1 T vegetable oil

Combine ingredients. Set aside 1/4 cup of marinade in fridge to reserve for basting.

Cut 4 pounds chicken into quarters. Place into large ziplock bag and add marinade. Seal and refrigerate overnight, turning the bag from time to time.

45 minutes before cooking time, remove chicken from fridge, allowing to come just to room temperature.

Drain chicken, discarding marinating liquid. Grill chicken over medium coals, turning often, for 20-25 minutes or until juices run clear. While cooking, baste frequently with reserved marinade.

To serve: along with the chicken, offer fresh hot tortillas and some pico de gallo, and/or other salsas. You help yourself by tearing off a chunk of chicken, laying it in the center of the tortilla, topping it with pico or salsa, and then eating, with the juices running down your chin.

Edited by Jaymes (log)

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

El Polo Loco used to be in Florida a number of years ago, but apparently they all went under.

Liked the chicken, but they served it without cutlery. Had to eat it with your fingers, or use the tortillas, as I recall.

The chicken was pretty good but was unimpressed by the beans.

Tod Wilbur, of Top Secret Recipes, has a copycat recipe that calls for a marinade of water, S&P, garlic, food coloring (or saffron, why anyone would waste saffron on this I have no idea), pineapple and lime juices.

That's it.

All that remains is the chicken.

As usual, he claims this is close to the McCoy, and perhaps it is.

Don't doubt it for a minute.

Have found that most fast food places use the simplest of ingredients.

The more the stuff costs you, the more you have to charge the customer, and the less the profit.

Have tried to make a few knock offs, and have learned that, when in doubt, go for the cheapest solution.

El Pollo Loco got me through a three day cooking marathon when we were making a Thanksgiving feast for a whole lot of relatives.

They, and we, are no longer in Florida.

Would not mind going to a Loco Pollo for old times sake, but am not about to travel three thousand miles for the experience.

I split the whole bird down the back and marinate for up to 8 hours then grill SLOWLY until the bird is falling apart and crispy outside.

I think this is the most important part. There is NO substitute for time.

When we make Peruvian style chicken we marinate for at least 8 hours, sometimes more like 12 or 20. For chicken dinner in the evening, either start marinating early in the morning, or the night before.

Also, we find it useful to marinate in a ziplock. Squeeze all of the air out while you close it. Refridgerate and turn a few times while marinating.

Edited by lueid813 (log)

It's my guess that the El Pollo Loco restaurants that are so popular throughout the Western US do not offer an authentic Peruvian preparation. For one thing, it is presented as being Mexican in origin, further evidenced by the fact that you are supposed to eat it wrapped into tortillas, and salsa and Mexican frijoles are served alongside.

Even if the inspiration for the restaurant interpretation was originally Peruvian, I think that now, we're probably talking about two different things.

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

I should clarify that the Pollo Loco restaurant that used to be on NYC's Upper East Side was a Peruvian restaurant, operated by Peruvians and not affiliated in any way with the chain that is also being discussed here. The Pollo Loco recipe that I referenced in my earlier reply is in fact derived from the NYC restaurant's style of preparation - not the chain. It calls for lemon juice - no pineapple.

Theirs is served with an incredibly fiery green hot sauce served on the side. Other sides includes sliced tomatoes and lettuce with an oil & vinegar dressing and fried yucca. They also served another side dish that you won't find in Mexican restaurants - it's French Fries with some sort of hot dog like sausage grilled and served atop the fries in diagonal slices.

Jaymes, I gotta second your recipe,and though I know the restaurants began using the yellow dye, the achiote does what it's supposed to, as well. But this'll turn out a Pollo Loco that'll make your tongue slap your face. :smile::smile:

If you travel in Mexico, you'll see El Pollo Loco. See a history here:

http://www.elpolloloco.com/company/history.html

It's not meant to be Peruvian, as Jaymes suggests. Although, the pineapple is an American original and was present in South American, I believe, before Columbus, whereas oranges, limes, and lemons were not. There's a Peruvian chicken chain in DC called El Pollo Rico, which is quite tasty. I don't know if there's some confusion.

See that recipe from the Orange County Register that Jaymes gives here also:

http://www.jewishfood-list.com/recipes/mar...marinade01.html

Here are some other attempts:

http://www.cookingonaboat.com/add_rec_disp...Loco%20Marinade

http://www.cookingonaboat.com/add_rec_display.cfm?recid=40

http://www.grilling-recipes.com/chicken/r340.htm

http://recipeview.com/Barbecue/Barbecue404.htm

http://www.recipesource.com/misc/copycat/00/rec0065.html

http://www.e-cookbooks.net/recipes/elpolchk.htm

Edited by ExtraMSG (log)

El Polo Loco used to be in Florida a number of years ago, but apparently they all went under.

I guess because they went head to head with Pollo Tropical and lost?

http://www.pollotropical.com

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host