• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Danish wedding cake

Hi folks,

I'm looking for a recipe for what my Danish grandfather used to make; a Danish wedding cake. Basically, it's an almond macaron type dough, golden smooth and crispy on the outside, very chewy on the inside. It was baked in a set of rings that were incrementally smaller, so that when assembled they formed a tall pyramid of rings. The dough is what I'm really after. It can also be made into individual cookies, etc. As I remember, the dough went something like this;

a few pounds of almond paste

half a dozen egg whites, or so

a couple cups of confectioners sugar

a little flour

some baking powder (or ammonium sulfate?)

maybe some almond extract, brandy, or kirsch?

Does that look like the right general direction? Please help with any recipe suggestions.

Thanks,

Tom

I really love macarons and have been making them recently so I was interested to google this topic and find out more. Below is a link to a site with Danish cake recipes--looks like a bunch of interesting recipes--including the Kransekage.

Not a home-tested recipe but maybe others can add to this:

danish wedding cake Kransekage

Edited by ludja (log)

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

-- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, 1962 "Big Mama's Funeral"

Ludja,

Thanks for the link. That looks like what I'm looking for. I'm going to make individual cookies, and I think it's the same dough. My father made it for my wedding and used his father's rings for sizing the dough. I'm going to try this recipe soon! I wonder why they heat the dough before baking.

Take care,

Tom

By the way, what is that picture next to your name? It looks like an octopus mouth.

It might be a good idea to google a bit using the cake's name--maybe you'll find recipes that seem better or that give clearer instructions. This recipe is not that descriptive.

I'm not sure what the heating is for after the mixing. Sometimes, one heats up egg whites in preparation to whipping; it helps increase the volume. Maybe something similar is achieved here.

My avatar is a drawing of an 'edelweiss'-- Austria's national flower found high in the Alps. Although now I may look at it and just think 'octopus' ! :laugh:

Edited by ludja (log)

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

My avatar is a drawing of an 'edelweiss'-- Austria's national flower found high in the Alps.

I thought it was a belgian endive salad... :laugh:

:raz:

My avatar is a drawing of an 'edelweiss'-- Austria's national flower found high in the Alps.

I thought it was a belgian endive salad... :laugh:

So did I, all this time! :biggrin:

Life is short; eat the cheese course first.

You guys are great. Thanks for all the links. I should've checked my old friend Google, but didn't know the word "Kransekage."

I saw from another recipe that heating the dough allows for easier forming of the rings. Another recipe, however, says pipe it into the rings. Technique is everything.

And what a lovely flower, the edelweiss. Sorry for the octopus association. I also thought endive. Always thinking about food.

Tom