• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Substitute for Pampero Anniversario

GreenSooner

I'm a big fan of Anniversario. Unfortunately, I'm down to my last dram...and the stores here are all sold out :angry: ! Apparently, the distributors haven't had it for months, and there's no telling when it will return to liquor stores around here.

To tide me over, do any of you have any suggestions of a possible substitute? Here in Oklahoma, the rum selection is okay, but not great. Among the rums I'm thinking of buying are: Zaya, Doorly's XO, and Pritchard's. Any thoughts about these or other dark, premium rums that are worth sipping neat?

I find Ron Del Barrilito 3 Star ito be in the same vein as Pampero aniversario. Though not quite as smooth, it has some similar characteristics. Barrilito is about $18-$22. It is not the easiest thing to find in Iowa where I am however.

Salud,

Patrick

Edited by Garcia21 (log)

A quick Google and I see that there are at least a couple of places that sell it online. I don't know if it's legal to ship it to your state, but it might be worth the call.

Barrilito is a great rum, but I have very little luck finding it.

• 2 months later...

There is no substitute for Pampero, but if you like that rum you owe it to yourself to try the Flor de Cana rums, Botran and Ron Abuelo from Panama. But don't be surprised if you have a hard time finding these rums as most have limited distribution in the US.

Edward Hamilton

Ministry of Rum.com

The Complete Guide to Rum

When I dream up a better job, I'll take it.