• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Fun Family Eats-San Diego/LA

TrishCT

Hi all,

What are your favorite fun, family type places to eat in these areas? Food type is not important. What matters is that a family with kids (aged 10-14) can feel comfortable and enjoy some good food.

Also what are some must see things to do sightseeing wise in the area for a family?

Thank you in advance for any and all recommendations.

Two casual eateries that I always recommend are Point Loma Seafood and Boll Weevil.

Point Loma Seafood is on Emerson, just off Scott, between Harbor Island and Shelter Island.

It's seafood about as freash as it gets.

There are numerous Boll Weevils around the San Diego area.

The serve a plain, fresh, 1/2 pound burger (smaller available), that you dress to your liking from the relish tray brought to your table.

For Bangkok eats, check out my Cheap Eats Bangkok

If you will be going to Mission Beach in San Diego, there's a famous restored wooden roller coaster right next to the Boardwalk. The group that restored the coaster also put lights on it so it looks great at night. Here is website for the roller coaster.

Just north of the roller coaster (just across the street) is Hamel's Action Sports Center. They rent out sports equipment, from roller blades to bikes to boogey boards. The Boardwalk is very long (and sometimes crowded, depending on the weather). It stretches from just south of Mission Beach all the way to the north past Pacific Beach to the cliffs separating La Jolla from the rest of the hoi polloi. You can skate or bike on the Boardwalk (obey the flow-of-traffic signs). The ocean is close by so depending on the water temp, that could be fun, too.

If you have money to spend, there's always Sea World which is east of Mission Beach on Mission Bay. There's also the world famous San Diego Zoo (near Downtown) & in the very far north county is the Wild Animal Park (run by the Zoo).

Depending on the time of year, you can also go whale watching. Some of the tour boats are based east of Mission Beach along West Mission Bay Drive. Grey Whales migrate up from Mexico heading north past the San Diego coastline. The whale watching tour boats are prohibited from get right up next to the whales but you're close enough for some good pictures. Technically, it is a crap-shoot, though. The couple times I went, there were always whales to see. Not sure what they do when there aren't any going by.

Here is a website listing some Mission Beach Restaurants. I noticed when trying to do a Google search for Mission Beach restaurants that a lot of Pacific Beach restaurants kept popping up as is evident with the list I found. For example, Da Kine's Plate Lunches is actually a Pacific Beach restaurant (a very casual place that serves Hawai'ian food...my sister-in-law likes their Lau Lau which is pork with fish wrapped in taro leaves and slow roasted in the oven...they're closed Monday's).

If you can get up to Pacific Beach (take a car because it's a looooong walk from Mission Beach) there are oodles of great restaurants up there.

If you want cheap, casual mexican food with no atmosphere, keep an eye out for Roberto's, Alberto's, Roybierto's, Hilbierto's (you get the idea...they're all over San Diego and they all serve about the same level of food quality). Note that most of the burritos do NOT contain beans & rice unless you want it that way. For example, if you order a carne asada burrito you will get carne asada, salsa & guacamole in the tortilla and that's it. It makes for a meaty burrito. Kids seem to like the rolled tacos (taquitos).

I grew up eating at Boll Weevils (our family treat) so I agree with Stupid-American's recommendation. Before there was a Big Mac, before there was a Whopper, there was the Boll Weevil burger. Again, not too expensive and very casual.

I hope you have a good time!

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

I grew up in San Diego, and I agree with the recommendation of Boll Weevil - Home of the half pound steer burger! I also think a uniquely San Diego food can be found at Rubio's - Fish Tacos. It's a pretty fast food experience, but if you've never tried a fish taco, you have to try it at least once.