• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

blue_dolphin

blue_dolphin

On June 20, 2014 at 3:40 PM, gfron1 said:

I'm pickling agave blossom right now.  Cattail pollen is pretty much done for the year which is too bad - its my favorite to gather.

agave.jpg

I'm not sure it's foraging, since I just went out my front door and snipped these off a plant in my front yard but here is my harvest of agave buds:

IMG_3660.jpg

About 1/3 of a cup.  I will be following the recipe for pickled agave buds from @gfron1's book, Acorns & Cattailsir?t=egulletcom-20&l=am2&o=1&a=151070968.  These are from a plant that was sold to me as Agave celsii 'nova' (I believe Agave mitis is the current nomenclature).  It started sending up a primary bloom stalk in Feb 2015 and has sent up a few smaller stalks since then.  I'm surprised it has lived this long after blooming but I think it's on its last legs and I'm not expecting any of my other agaves to bloom for quite a few years so I figured I should give these guys a try while I have the chance.

blue_dolphin

blue_dolphin

On June 20, 2014 at 3:40 PM, gfron1 said:

I'm pickling agave blossom right now.  Cattail pollen is pretty much done for the year which is too bad - its my favorite to gather.

agave.jpg

I'm not sure it's foraging, since I just went out my front door and snipped these off plant in my front yard but here is my harvest of agave buds:

IMG_3660.jpg

About 1/3 of a cup.  I will be following the recipe for pickled agave buds from @gfron1's book, Acorns & Cattailsir?t=egulletcom-20&l=am2&o=1&a=151070968.  These are from a plant that was sold to me as Agave celsii 'nova' (I believe Agave mitis is the current nomenclature).  It started sending up a primary bloom stalk in Feb 2015 and has sent up a few smaller stalks since then.  I'm surprised it has lived this long after blooming but I think it's on its last legs and I'm not expecting any of my other agaves to bloom for quite a few years so I figured I should give these guys a try while I have the chance.