• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Penang Grill

menton1

After a couple of trips here, I thought it was time to write about the place. Unfortunately, I live about an hour away or I would be here much more often.

The food here is Pan-Asian, a fusion of Chinese, Vietnamese, Malaysian, Thai, and Singapore flavors. The atmosphere is wood with a cathedral ceiling, giving the feeling of spaciousness. The place has only 14 tables, but there is a lot of open space in this restaurant so tables are roomy and spread out. They could probably double the # of tables in the place if they wanted to, but mysteriously enough they choose to leave the open space. You need to come early, or be prepared to wait, there are comfortable couches to sit on while waiting.

There is a nice little amuse-bouche on the table of an Asian salad, with cabbage and carrots in a nice sweet vinaigrette. The menu is very unique, the most fun section is where you order dishes according to the sauce! Then you decide on meat, whether it be beef, pork, chicken, shrimp, calamari, or tofu. They choose the vegetables appropriate to the sauce, so each dish will have different combinations of veggies. On our visits here, we have had the Sambal sauce (great!) a dried shrimp sauce from Malaysia, a Mango sauce, nice and spicy, and a Ginger glaze sauce with lots of pickled ginger in the mix. Each dish was a delight to the senses, and you are actually sad when you are finished. The Vietnamese salad appetizer was a bit unique, shredded cabbage in a peanut paste that was quite delicious. Sneaking a peek at the next table, we saw great-looking Thai soups served, and wonderful Seafood Curry.

The dishes are served in lovely mini-woks, very attractive and pleasant to eat "family style". Service is very cheerful and efficient, the place definitely has their act together. It is a BYOB as well, but they have a long bar in the place with bubble teas as well. Our entire bill for 2 people came to under $40, with tax and tip-- amazing!! Wish they would open a branch in New Jersey! Web Site

I have only had take out from this place, which is sometimes excellent and sometimes so-so. But the same owners have a larger restaurant which to my mind is even better, called Asiana, which is only a few blocks away on Putnam Ave. (Route 1).

Rickster, I think Penang Grill is part of the ever-growing Ching's Table empire which includes Sushi 25 also in New Canaan, Hunan Cafe in Wilton, Wild Ginger in Ridgefield.

I've never been to Penang Grill but Ching's Table in New Canaan is one of our favorites.

"These pretzels are making me thirsty." --Kramer

Yes, if you click on the web site I pointed to above, there are 6 restaurants in the empire, including Penang, Asiana, and Ching's Table. Penang seems the most fun becuase of its large space and few tables and the menu selections where you choose by the sauce! Penang seems to have the best pricing as well....

You are lucky! The Penang down here in Chapel Hill is awful. (It is part of the same chain) Mediocre food marred by inept service. It has only been open about six-months, but that is long enough. I tried to send back a dish because it was inedible and the manager came out and argued with me that it tasted fine and then insulted my knowledge of food by implying I didn't know what shrimp paste was! I am glad to hear other branches are better. Maybe there is hope they will send someone out to help!

Edited by challah-baker (log)

• 4 weeks later...

"Inspired by the fast paced eateries of New York City..."

jesus, i hope the food isn't inspired by the horribly mediocre food at NYC's Penangs. although they seem to be primarily malaysian, and i just don't like malaysian food all that much, so my opinion is worthless. let me go back and delete this post.

"Inspired by the fast paced eateries of New York City..."

jesus, i hope the food isn't inspired by the horribly mediocre food at NYC's Penangs.  although they seem to be primarily malaysian, and i just don't like malaysian food all that much, so my opinion is worthless.  let me go back and delete this post.

No, these folks in Connecticut have no affiliation with any restaurants in NYC. The food really is way-above average Asian; But perhaps you could convince them that they would do very well if they opened a restaurant in Ridgewood, NJ!! :raz: