• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Need Restaurants for Cooking Classes

tastedc

Hail EGulleteers! I'm looking for restaurants in the DC Area that are interested in holding cooking classes for my organization. We have 17,000 wine and food lovers in the DC area, and if this is too commercial for this forum, my apologies in advance, but I just can't seem to find enough restaurants that will open up for cooking classes. Hands On or Demonstration-Only, either will work, we need a room for up to 35 people. Classes that have been huge hits in the past include "How to Make Pasta", "Cooking Basics 101", and anything having to do with French, Italian or Desserts. Ethnic cooking classes are also very popular. If you know a chef that is interested in teaching cooking classes, personality is everything - people love a great show a la Emeril or "Naked Chef". If you know a place/venue that really wants to have our cooking demos, that's appreciated too!

I figure this forum would also increase Egulleters awareness of local cooking classes/venues in the area.

Hail EGulleteers! I'm looking for restaurants in the DC Area that are interested in holding cooking classes for my organization. We have 17,000 wine and food lovers in the DC area, and if this is too commercial for this forum, my apologies in advance, but I just can't seem to find enough restaurants that will open up for cooking classes. Hands On or Demonstration-Only, either will work, we need a room for up to 35 people. Classes that have been huge hits in the past include "How to Make Pasta", "Cooking Basics 101", and anything having to do with French, Italian or Desserts. Ethnic cooking classes are also very popular. If you know a chef that is interested in teaching cooking classes, personality is everything - people love a great show a la Emeril or "Naked Chef". If you know a place/venue that really wants to have our cooking demos, that's appreciated too!

I figure this forum would also increase Egulleters awareness of local cooking classes/venues in the area.

I know the owner of a restaurant that may work as a venue. It is large enough, ethnic, and has been planning on having cooking classes. PM me your email address, and I will forward it to the restaurant owner.

-Jason

The washington Post publishes a list of fall Cooking Classes each year which lists numerous restaurants that offer the same. You should be able to get this from their online archives.

Any reason why restaurants ? Sur La Table offers pretty decent classes, very proffessionally orchestrated and covering a wide spectrum of interests.

Edited by BBhasin (log)

Bombay Curry Company

3110 Mount Vernon Avenue, Alexandria, VA 22305. 703. 836-6363

Delhi Club

Arlington, Virginia

I occassionaly hold private classes on Indian cooking if you are interested

I'm interested!! I keep bugging the Indian restaurants in my area (Columbia, MD) to hold classes so I can learn, but I haven't had any success. Where do you hold your classes?

(Sitting for lamb chops)

Lamb: Ple-e-e-se Li-i-i-sa I thought you lo-o-o-oved me, lo-o-o-oved me

Marge: Whats Wrong Lisa? Cant get enough lamb chops?

Lisa: I can't eat this, I can't eat a poor little lamb.

Homer: Lisa get a hold yourself, that is lamb, not A lamb.

Sorry, I've ignored replies-I don't currently have a location for cooking classes except for Bangkok Bistro where TasteDC.com (that's the 17,000 member organization - it's actually free membership, just go to the www.tastedc.com website, another plug!) is organizing a series of Asian "demonstration-only" cooking classes. I want to stay generally inside the Beltway for cooking classes, but if there is a beautiful weekend resort dying to have "foodies" come to their place, that's an option. Restaurants that are looking for new diners and have a chef with "personality" are preferred, but there are many chefs who will come to a restaurant and demonstrate, while the meal actually comes from the restaurant itself. Confused? Sorry, I'm looking for a location first, the instructor/class/themes comes later...