• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

They ruined my favorite american can beer! :(

Brewery

First off, my fav beer mostly comes from Belgiam in the form of dubbels and tripples. That said, my favorite cheap american beer is/was the Coors product "Keystone". It had a clean crisp taste with a hint of maltiness in the middle. Now the problem. They changed the can graphics again (about the 4th time) except this time, it seems they changed the contents also. Not only does the new can look like Coca Cola, (this should endear the product to children) but now it smells and tastes like they removed the malt and put in RICE EXTRACT!!! Yes, it now tastes like a bad can of Budwiser. I also noticed the can no longer says "premium". The folks at Coors assured me on the phone that they didnt change the product, but my wife and I dissagree.

Have any of you with discerning palates here tried this beer and noticed a difference?

Also, can anyone reccomend a CHEAP good tasting beer?

Best beer that I get which also happens to be inexpensive (wouldn't call it cheap) is Stegmaier from the Lion Brewery in Wilkes Barre, PA. Cost is about $12.75 ($10 for the case and $2.75 for the case deposit where I purchase it.) A case consists of 24 16oz. bottles.

Could drink a case in one sitting if given a chance. Not only great for drinking, but also great to cook with. Taste is a bit hoppy, but otherwise an excellent beer. Unfortunately, sales seem to be limited to the Northeastern PA area.