• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Wax on Produce

menton1

Got a package of tomatoes at the supermarket yesterday, I needed some and winter tomatoes are fairly horrible anyway. On the label of the package were the words "coated with petroleum-based wax". Somehow that resonated with me; I just don't know if I should be eating tomatoes coated with a "Vaseline" type substance--

I thought they used a resin-type wax instead of something they make motor oil out of-- any comments?

There's a restaurant being bebuted by Darden Restaurants called Season 52's. Every Sunday, they change the menu so they're using the freshest, most "in season" ingredients. Fairly interesting concept and if it's done properly, it could be great.

I don't imagine that eating a bit of wax is going to hurt you. However, it must affect the product in some way. Seems to me it would ruin the flavor (such as there is, in out-of-season produce) of the skin. And also create an unpleasant texture. It's there as a preservative. Keep that tomato perfectly glossy and smooth and pretty as a picture, because that's what most people are looking for.

But I think I'd still rather eat the wax than a Big Mac, health-wise.

We consume wax when eating produce, chewing gum, candies, chocolate, and those funny red molded lips (although I haven't had one of those for about 30 years). Not all of waxes use are petroleum based (beeswax and carnuba wax) but all of it should be 'food-grade' as determined by the FDA.

Much of the produce that has a skin is coated with wax for preservation and presentation. Next time you are in the grocery store and pick up a cucumber or an apple and notice how waxy the skin feels. Organic food tends not to be coated.

I don't think the normal cold-water rinse that people use for fruits and vegetables will remove the wax since it is likely not water soluble. It might rinse off if the water temp is above the melting point, and most food-grade waxes will have low melting points.

Stephen Bunge

St Paul, MN

Tommy,

You can not "wash off" wax. Can you wash the wax of a candle? ;)

menton1,

Trust your instincts. If you're not comfortable with it, get rid of the wax by dipping the wax coated produce in boiling water for all of two seconds or so. The wax will melt right off. Wipe the produce immediately with a paper towel to get any residual residue off, or better yet, peel them.

It's not so much the wax itself I worry about (although it does concern me), as much as what they might mix in with the wax, such as chemicals to prevent mold.

All the more reason to grow your own produce, frequent the organic growers at your farmers market, or organic produce from your grocery stores.

There's plenty of information online if you want to do further research.

a waxed carrot will eat through a condom.

:blink:

Soooo many questions come to mind...

:laugh:

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

Tommy,

You can not "wash off" wax. Can you wash the wax of a candle? ;)

menton1,

Trust your instincts. If you're not comfortable with it, get rid of the wax by dipping the wax coated produce in boiling water for all of two seconds or so. The wax will melt right off. Wipe the produce immediately with a paper towel to get any residual residue off, or better yet, peel them.

Ugh. I tried this once with bell peppers. It took me months to get the pot clean. Couldn't boil water without getting wax on the surface. I don't recommend it. (Or at least would recommend using a pot you don't care about.)

amanda

Googlista

1) the wax is not harmful. it is intended to help the vegetable retain moisture (moisture loss=wilting). neither does it have flavor. it does have texture, though, which is not good.

2) it will wash off, but it's a pain. soap works (though, of course, you have to rinse well). wax won't wash off a candle, because it is entirely wax (whatever wax washes off, only reveals more wax).

3) don't want to know about the carrot, either.

Ignoring anything said about carrots, daikon and especially zucchini...

The wax that is used is the same type of wax that is used in wax coated paper cartons (cream, milk, etc.) and for years was used for paper cups. And the ever present wax paper. It is very highly refined petroleum wax and is highly regulated as a food grade wax. As far as eating it is concerned, I don't worry about it. It has been around in food packaging since way before most of you were born. Before some of the more sophisticated plastic packaging came along, it was the most effective and ubiquitous material used to make low permeability packaging.

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

It is very highly refined petroleum wax and is highly regulated as a food grade wax.

How could anything made from motor oil be safe to consume? :blink:

It isn't made from motor oil. Motor oil and petroleum-based, food-grade wax do share crude oil as a raw material. And what is crude oil but the remains of prehistoric critters ('fossil fuel') mixed with various impurities (sulphur, etc).

Can it be refined to the point that it is not harmful to the human body?

The FDA says 'yes'. I'm sure there are many who say 'no'.

Stephen Bunge

St Paul, MN