• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

fish

mongo_jones

i made a maccher-jhol (fish-curry would i suppose be the easiest translation) with turbot the other night.

now, most bengali fish preparations call for the fish to first be lightly coated with salt and turmeric and shallow-fried before being later inserted into the sauce and simmered till completely done (the one exception to this rule is shorshe-ilish where the fish is traditionally dropped into the sauce raw and "steamed" in it--though this is not how bong does it). turbot it turns out is much like cod in that it is a very delicate, flaky fish. it doesn't take well to movement in the pan (i'm guessing europeans usually bread it and fry it, or grill it)--it was all i could do to not have it fall apart on me.

since i am not an expert on fish commonly available in the u.s i would appreciate it if we could put together a list of fish that respond well to most indian style jhol/curry preparations.

here's my list:

easy in curries:

mahi-mahi

shark

tilapia

mackerel

tough to handle in curries:

cod

turbot

fish that i don't think are well suited to most indian curries (though maybe to the tandoor):

swordfish

monkfish

salmon

what else? i've never tried making a bengali style fish dish with orange roughy or sea bass or trout or catfish--thoughts?

I have used catfish to make a mustard fish (in the microwave!!). Mustard paste, mustard oil, turmeric and green chilies. Dhaniya pata at the end. I have also steamed this wrapped in foil or in a metal bowl. I guess a banana leaf would be the traditional way.

I have also used thick catfish filets cut into little pieces to make a sort of maacher chorchori with potatoes, eggplant, etc.

Edward Hamann

Cooking Teacher

Indian Cooking

edhamann@hotmail.com

I have used:

* Trout

* Striped bass

* Grass carp (cousin of the "Rui" aka Rohu and Catla)

* Sea bass

* Tilapia (Tilapia is available in Bengal, although the Tilapia you commonly get in the USA are a lot bigger in size for some reason)

* Catfish (catfish fillets can also be made into bengali style "fish fry" which is marinated fillets dipped in egg wash and bread crumbs and then shallow fried)

* Smelt (this is not suitable for machher jhol, but you can make a spicy preparation of this fish with minced garlic, onion slices , ground turmeric and potatoes)

* Pompano (this is a cousin of the Indian pomfret)

Over here in the San Francisco Bay area, I am lucky to have access to a lot of frozen imported (from Bangladesh usually) Bengali traditional fishes, so I use those as well.

Also, in addition to Macher Jhol (which traditionally does not use any garlic) and shorshe baata, I sometimes make a fish preparation which is spicier and uses garlic + ginger + onions + ground turmeric + chopped tomatoes + and no other spices. Its preparation is similar to the way you would make a bengali style mangshor jhol. Striped bass in particular tastes very good when prepared this way.

Here is one of my recipes (there are multiple variations, this is just one) for "machher jhol" +++:

* Use fish cut into 1-1.5 inch wide steaks -- about 6 of them.

* Dry rub fish with 1 tbsp salt and 2 tsp ground turmeric and leave it for upto 30mins

* Shallow fry fish in oil, until outside of fish is golden brown. The fish needs to be half cooked at this point. Traditionally, mustard oil is used for frying fish. But if you dont have access to good quality mustard oil, use vegetable oil instead,

* [optional] If using potatoes in your jhol, shallow fry potato (peeled) wedges in the same oil.

(amount of potatoes should be preferably less than half the amont of fish)

* In a heavy pan, heat some oil - about 2 tbsp. Traditionally, mustard oil is used. But if you dont have access to good quality mustard oil, use vegetable oil instead,

* Add "Kalo-jeere", (called "Kalonji" in Hindi and "Nigella" seeds in English) - about 0.5 tsp. You can alternatively use Jeera (cumin seeds) or Paanch Phoron (mixture of spices) instead, and wait a few seconds.

* [optional] Add about 1tsp each of ground cumin and ground coriander and stir the paste around for a few seconds.

* Add chopped up tomatoes, about 0.75 cup.

* [optional] Add some grated ginger, about 1 tablespoon.

* Stir tomatoes around for a while, until it becomes like a paste and the oil separates.

* Add the previously browned potato wedges. Cover and cook under medium heat for a couple of minutes.

* Add the fish steaks to this mixture.

* Add slit green chile peppers, as many as you would like.

* [optional] Add green peas, about 0.75 cups.

* Add salt to taste.

* Add hot water. Let mixture come to boil. Cover pan. The consistency of the broth should be quite watery.

* Let mixture simmer for a few minutes until the fish and potatoes are done.

Before serving, sprinkle a bit of chopped up cilantro leaves. Serve hot. To be had with rice. Need to eat with your fingers, as you will have to remove the bones from the fish while eating.

+++ Disclaimer: Use above recipe as a guide only. All of the measurements given above are from my memory, so they could be wrong. I myself hardly measure anything when preparing Bengali food.

Edited by bong (log)

Here is one of my recipes (there are multiple variations, this is just one) for "machher jhol" +++:

* Use fish cut into 1-1.5 inch wide steaks -- about 6 of them.

* Dry rub fish with 1 tbsp salt and 2 tsp ground turmeric and leave it for upto 30mins

* Shallow fry fish in oil, until outside of fish is golden brown. The fish needs to be half cooked at this point. Traditionally, mustard oil is used for frying fish. But if you dont have access to good quality mustard oil, use vegetable oil instead,

* [optional] If using potatoes in your jhol, shallow fry potato (peeled) wedges in the same oil.

(amount of potatoes should be preferably less than half the amont of fish)

* In a heavy pan, heat some oil - about 2 tbsp. Traditionally, mustard oil is used. But if you dont have access to good quality mustard oil, use vegetable oil instead,

* Add "Kalo-jeere", (called "Kalonji" in Hindi and "Nigella" seeds in English) - about 0.5 tsp. You can alternatively use Jeera (cumin seeds) or Paanch Phoron (mixture of spices) instead, and wait a few seconds.

* [optional] Add about 1tsp each of ground cumin and ground coriander and stir the paste around for a few seconds.

* Add chopped up tomatoes, about 0.75 cup.

* [optional] Add some grated ginger, about 1 tablespoon.

* Stir tomatoes around for a while, until it becomes like a paste and the oil separates.

* Add the previously browned potato wedges. Cover and cook under medium heat for a couple of minutes.

* Add the fish steaks to this mixture.

* Add slit green chile peppers, as many as you would like.

* [optional] Add green peas, about 0.75 cups.

* Add salt to taste.

* Add hot water. Let mixture come to boil. Cover pan. The consistency of the broth should be quite watery.

* Let mixture simmer for a few minutes until the fish and potatoes are done.

Before serving, sprinkle a bit of chopped up cilantro leaves. Serve hot. To be had with rice. Need to eat with your fingers, as you will have to remove the bones from the fish while eating.

+++ Disclaimer: Use above recipe as a guide only. All of the measurements given above are from my memory, so they could be wrong. I myself hardly measure anything when preparing Bengali food.

bong this is identical to my default machher-jhol recipe! i like to use long wedges of potatoes (a long potato cut into 4 long wedges) and make the jhol very patla (thin). even though i can't get magur-machh in boulder it reminds me of childhood meals of patla magur-machher jhol, mushoor dal and alu-shedho (laced with shorshe-tel, onion and chilli) and rice.

no peas for me though. and i always use panch-phoron.

A lot of times I make maccher jhol wthout the peas or any other veggies. Sometimes, I add a lot of vegetables like peas, cauliflower florets (lightly browned in oil before adding to the stew), sometimes even cabbage (cut into big squares).

Mongo, I noticed you mentioned "shark" earlier --- would you mind sharing how you prepare your Bengali shark dish?

A lot of times I make maccher jhol wthout the peas or any other veggies. Sometimes, I add a lot of vegetables like peas, cauliflower florets (lightly browned in oil before adding to the stew), sometimes even cabbage (cut into big squares).

Mongo, I noticed you mentioned "shark" earlier --- would you mind sharing how you prepare your Bengali shark dish?

i make doi machh with it. pretty much like a mangshor-jhol (meat curry) with yogurt.

don't ask me for the recipe--it changes each time i do it, depending on what's at hand and how much falls in.