• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Jon Savage

Jon Savage

17 minutes ago, Chris Hennes said:

What kind of cutting boards do you all use with cleavers? I've never owned a cleaver before, so made the rookie mistake of simply using by normal polycarbonate "meat" board the other night and literally shattered it in one blow. There's no way I'm going to use the thing on the custom-built end grain maple board I use for non-meat ingredients. Is there an inexpensive option?

Yes Chris- I've got a laminated wood (pine most likely) round tabletop about the size of a large pizza & circa 6cm thick I got from Home Depot for I dunno maybe $10 that thing seems indestructible I've used it for oh 20 years with just a couple of hard scrubs/light sandings. There's also the more traditional Asian option for cleavers which basically involves a goodly slice of a branch or preferably tree stump. I've used cleavers using the above mentioned combo of (HDPE???) thin Ikea boards atop laminated Bamboo as well that I just posted without ill effects to the underlying wood(ish) matrix but maybe I'm more gentle with the cleaveroflove(TM) than you might be?

Jon Savage

Jon Savage

10 minutes ago, Chris Hennes said:

What kind of cutting boards do you all use with cleavers? I've never owned a cleaver before, so made the rookie mistake of simply using by normal polycarbonate "meat" board the other night and literally shattered it in one blow. There's no way I'm going to use the thing on the custom-built end grain maple board I use for non-meat ingredients. Is there an inexpensive option?

Yes Chris- I've got a laminated wood (pine most likely) round tabletop about the size of a large pizza & circa 6cm thick I got from Home Depot for I dunno maybe $10. There's also the more traditional Asian option for cleavers which basically involves a goodly slice of a branch or preferably tree stump. I've used cleavers using the above mentioned combo of (HDPE???) thin Ikea boards atop laminated Bamboo as well that I just posted without ill effects to the underlying wood(ish) matrix but maybe I'm more gentle with the cleaveroflove(TM) than you might be?