• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Jon Savage

Jon Savage

clarity

I use a decent sized laminated bamboo cutting board like the one pictured below from Ikea APTITLIG $12.99 USD but actually use the thin DRÄLLA  boards also Ikea pictured below $1.99 USD for a two pack (also Ikea) atop it. I like these for a couple of reasons-

1. Laminated Bamboo cutting boards seem hard on knives, at least in my experience, perhaps due to silicon content inherent in grasses?

2. It is a whole lot easier to sanitize these than any kind of wood block & at that price its easy peasy to have 6 or 8 around - they wear well & as they start to get a bit careworn we just take them to Venezia and leave them behind in the rental apartment we use there most years.

3. The flexibility of the thin boards is also a nice feature to have.

4. The red/green colours are helpful to remind one which boards require hardcore sanitizing & which don't.

aptitlig-butcher-block__0193879_PE349444

dralla-bendable-chopping-board-green__01

Obligatory disclaimer - no financial interest just a satisfied user of these products blah blah blah.

Jon Savage

Jon Savage

clarity

I use a decent sized laminated bamboo cutting board like the one pictured below from Ikea APTITLIG $12.99 USD but actually use the thin DRÄLLA  also Ikea pictured below $1.99 USD for a two pack (also Ikea) atop it. I like these for a couple of reasons-

1. Laminated Bamboo cutting boards seem hard on knives, at least in my experience, perhaps due to silicon content inherent in grasses?

2. It is a whole lot easier to sanitize these than any kind of wood block & at that price its easy peasy to have 6 or 8 around - they wear well & as they start to get a bit careworn we just take them to Venezia and leave them behind in the rental apartment we use there most years.

4. The red/green colours are helpful to remind one which boards require hardcore sanitizing & which don't.

Obligatory disclaimer - no financial interest just a satisfied user of these products blah blah blah.

Jon Savage

Jon Savage

I use a decent sized laminated bamboo cutting board like the one pictured below from Ikea APTITLIG $12.99 USD but actually use the thin DRÄLLA  also Ikea pictured below $1.99 USD for a two pack (also Ikea). I like these for a couple of reasons-