• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

finding green beans inside chicago

bucktown_boffo

Call Doug Zell at Intellegensia (sp?). I don't know if his place is convenient for you to get to. Tell him that a fellow Roaster's Guild member offered his name. Perhaps he would be willing to help. I don't know if it's againt their policy to sell a few lbs. of beans, but it's worth the phone call. I know he's not in Chicago this week, so wait until Feb. 9th to call.

Joe

You gonna eat that?

I'm not in Chicago, but I've had luck with Dunn Brothers (Minneapolis chain) selling me green beans. There is also an outfit here selling "peace coffee" (free trade, organic) that sells green beans. A lot of churches (UCC specifically) sell "peace coffee" here, so you might want to make a few calls to a local coffee place that roasts their own or check with a local church.

Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

We don't have Costco in my area but if you do.... check with them. Some guys over at Coffeegeek mentioend buying green beans at Costco and said the prices were really low. I just buy mail order from Sweet Maria's. Green beans keep for a year or two if properly stored and SM's has such an incredible variety that I buy about ten pounds at a time and that way the shipping charge is spread amongst a larger quantity.

Costco's beans are cheap enough that you should not expect a discount for buying them green but they actually make out better. There's a slight loss of moisture content - a pound of green yields a bit less than a pound of roasted beans. Add that fact to reduced labor and energy costs for them and it's a win/win all the way around. Definitely talk to the manager and mention to him that other Costco's are doing this.