• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Best restaurant(s) in Richmond

kendrabail

My sister just graduated from the University of Richmond last year, and I used to drive up and visit her from Durham. I agree, Richmond has some great dining. Some of my favorites are Mama Zu and La Grotta for Italian, Rostovs and Shockhoe Expresso and for coffee, and Bakers Crust for bread and desserts. There is also an awesome chocolate shop in Carytown called For the Love of Chocolate...........mmmmmm..I miss Richmond so much

On Cary Street in Cary town, hands down, the best restaurant in the city...

Acacia...Chef Dale Reitzer, one of Food & Wines best new chefs of either 99 or 00...

Having lived there for at least ten years on and off, I can vouch that the Calamari at Athens Tavern on Robinson Street brings tears to my eyes whenever I think about it... This is the kind of place that the owners smoke cigarettes and watch Greek TV in the back room, but it only adds to the atmosphere and their food absolutely rocks, although not fancy at all...

Millies, in Shockoe Bottom, is a real hoot...

Indochine serves pretty good Asian fare in Carytown...

On Main Street is Helen's... Small, intimate and killer creme brulee...

For a sleepy (read conservative) Southern town, Richmond has a great bar scene, killer architecture and is small enough to get around with ease...

Don't forget to catch a $1 movie at the Byrd Theatre in Carytown, a restored palace from the turn of the century, or visit Plan-9 Records just up the street for a true taste of an independent record store...

Adam

Chef - Food / Wine / Travel Consultant - Writer

Next time you are in town, try Edo's Squid. It's the sister restaurant to Mama Zu's. Ed Vasio owns and operates both places. Edo's Squid is a little friendlier and has less of a wait on most nights.

But yes, Mama Zu's rocks. Every time. The gorgonzola pasta. Better than...well, you know :wink:

You are so right about Helen's creme brulee. The way it should be made. Not too custardy, not too creamy but somewhere inbetween with that perfect sugary crackle it makes as your spoon hits the first bite. Ahhhh...

Have any of you tried the new fav Kitchen Table in Shockoe Bottom? Also, Dale R. just opened a new place called Six Burner if you're a fan of his. We ate there the other night. Excellent. Kind of a scaled down version of Acacia with a local fan hangout/comfort food slant. They make a mean white bean casserole with kale. The oyster chowder was also to die for.

Also, Dale R. just opened a new place called Six Burner if you're a fan of his.  We ate there the other night.  Excellent. Kind of a scaled down version of Acacia with a local fan hangout/comfort food slant.  They make a mean white bean casserole with kale.  The oyster chowder was also to die for.

Where is Six Burner located?

Adam

Oh wow. Can't wait to see some more reviews on the food at Dale R's new place. I just remembered another one of my favorites. The pizza I had at Bottoms Up was great. There is also a great place for gelato on Broad St. but I can't remember the name.

You are so right about Helen's creme brulee. The way it should be made. Not too custardy, not too creamy but somewhere inbetween with that perfect sugary crackle it makes as your spoon hits the first bite. Ahhhh...

Have any of you tried the new fav Kitchen Table in Shockoe Bottom? Also, Dale R. just opened a new place called Six Burner if you're a fan of his. We ate there the other night. Excellent. Kind of a scaled down version of Acacia with a local fan hangout/comfort food slant. They make a mean white bean casserole with kale. The oyster chowder was also to die for.

kendrabail-

Thanks for the 6 burner comments, I'm excited to try it. I actually thought that it was opened by one of Dale's former sous chefs but even better if Dale himself. I would've thought that he might concentrate on Acacia after Paysanne faded out. (Not that Acacia needs any work)

Questions about 6 burner:

Did you notice if it had a decent non-smoking section? I used to be able to handle all the smoky Fan joints but with a 2 month old kid, I'm now looking for places that won't leave us all stinking like a P. Morris factory. Even if it's not smoky, is it laid back enough to take a baby to or is it close enough to Acacia-style that I need to get a babysitter? (NOTE: before I get slammed by anti-kid folks, I wouldn't take the kid to nicer places like Acacia, etc. but I have no problem bringing a baby to more casual places Kuba Kuba, etc.).

Prices at 6 burner? (apps, entrees)

Comparison of 6 burner with Kitchen Table? I haven't been there yet but I'm trying to decide which to try first. Should it be KT or 6 burner? Foodie friends who've been to KT have enjoyed the food but had a little bit of sticker shock. Price of organic I guess (which I'm generally willing to pay).

I won't revisit everyone else's suggestions except for two:

1. MZ and Edo's are phenomenal. I prefer MZ to Edo's but eat more frequently at Edo's b/c it's more convenient (especially for takeout). Squid, white beans and arugula (drooling...)

2. I'm thoroughly unimpressed by Bottom's Up but I'm a thinner crust guy myself. I think Piccola is far better.

3. Was your gelato place Gelati Celesti on W. Broad? DEE-licious.

Places off the top of my head that others haven't mentioned:

1. Kuba Kuba - Excellent, cheap cuban food.

2. Comfort on W. Broad for good upscale southern food.

3. Franco's for expensive Italian - if I had to pick, I'd choose MZ over Franco's but if you want nice, white linen, high end Ital, try Franco's. The antipasti combo is great.

4. Binigi's - Yummy, cheap Peruvian food about 2 miles north of the city on Brook Rd.

Places that I want to try that I haven't yet:

1. Zeus Gallery

2. Stella's

3. Julep's

• 2 weeks later...

Been a while since I checked these posts, so sorry!

Regarding Six Burner....

No non-smoking section....typical fan arrangement, but not smoky when I was in there...just at the bar

Prices run about $7 to $9 for apps and around the same for some entrees...the most expensive was in the low 20's if I recall correctly. Large portions including can fish sandwich that could feed a family of four.

Less expensive than Kitchen Table (and yes, the organic stuff can set you back a bit) although I thought KT's prices were very fair considering what Flemings, Mortons and Ruth Chris charge for a crappy steak. And don't even get me started on some of the newer chains in town...:) Kitchen Table would be my vote for your first visit. To be honest, I don't remember seeing anything on the menu for over $25 bucks (including a filet mignon).

Head to Stella's. It's wonderful. Sticker shock will accompany the specials (listed on the chalkboard) but they are enough for two, so share. Order off the menu for a great selection of apps, soups and small plates including a very generous Mezze platter with hummus, tiropita, greek salad, spanakopita and an amazing taramasalata. We usually sit at the bar and eat apps all night. Great wine list and the entire place is nonsmoking.

www.theaccidentalchef.net

For those that live or have visited Richmond, VA, I am curious what eating establishments would be at the top of your list? Many say that Richmond is slowly earning its place on the southern culinary map. Waht do you think?

Richmond is trying to earn its place on the culinary map, but it has a while to go. There are many so-so restaurants. I think on the top of the list (at least for formal fine ding) would be Lemaire in the Jefferson by far. Other less formal solid restaurants are: Comfort, Helens, Stellas, Mama Zu, and Milli's.

Thanks for the Stella's notes. That description helped it jump to the top of the list. I have to admit, however, that I _always_ feel like I get what I pay for (or more) at all the Giavos/Dikos establishments. Taramasalata...yummm.

Between your S.W. review and your comments here, Kitchen Table sounds like a must on my list. I concur with you, I rarely (pun intended) see the point in steakhouse prices. Much rather have some innovative cooking.

As for doonie's list, I can't bring myself to pay Lemaire prices. Granted, the Jefferson is fun to show off to out-of-towners but, to eat at Lemaire, I'd prefer to be working off someone else's expense account. That's just me. I tend to value good food over white linens.

While I agree that Richmond "has a while to go," I feel like we do o.k. for a city of our size. Now, if we could just get a decent grocery store here! THAT is what we're missing.

Oh God, don't get me started on the grocery story monopoly going on here.

A certain store (beginning with "U") is so overpriced it's actually entertaining.

Yes, they run specials, but the meat, produce and heinous seafood is so ridiculously expensive, it's criminal.

Last week I saw filet mignon for $29 a pound. NO missprint.

I NEVER go to said place. I am waiting for more organic groceries (like Trader Vic's) to come in a give the ole "U" a run for their money. Doubt it will happen.

I also agree with you about Lemaire. Ate their once. Nice service. Average food for the price. Stuffy. Not my kind of place either.

Now Sidewalk? That's a place I can live with. Best damn calamari in town.

I actually sent an email to Wegman's begging them to come to Richmond. Since they're opening 2 news stores in NoVA, I figured it was worth a shot. Unfortunately, I think that they're pretty chummy w/ the U family so I doubt we'll ever get them here.

I'm holding out hope that Whole Foods will bring one of its big markets here. It's not Wegmans but it would certainly be an improvement over what we have now. I heard that Trader Joe's might come to Short Pump in the next year or so. Fingers crossed. Do you know if Tom Leonard's Farmer's Mkt has opened out there yet?

I feel like I have to run all over town to get average-to-good quality stuff. Plus, I still can't believe that there's not a single independent butcher's market in Richmond. I wish I could say that I'm surprised at the $29/lb but I'm not. I spent a fortune on some prime ribeye at Joe's Mkt a couple of weeks ago and it was cut like crap. I'd rather have a decently butchered Choice cut. I see better butchering at Costco than I do at any of the grocery stores.

Haven't had the calamari at Sidewalk. It may be the only thing that I haven't eaten there. You should try Piccola Italy's calamari. Tasty.

O.k. Very hungry now. Must go to lunch.

Having lived there for at least ten years on and off, I can vouch that the Calamari at Athens Tavern on Robinson Street brings tears to my eyes whenever I think about it... This is the kind of place that the owners smoke cigarettes and watch Greek TV in the back room, but it only adds to the atmosphere and their food absolutely rocks, although not fancy at all...

Dscott,

I will refer you backto this

Adam

Dscott,

I will refer you backto this

sput,

Duly noted. Perhaps I will spend an entire day eating my way through Richmond calimari.

Let's see....

Heading down 95, you could get off at the Belvidere exit and head into the Fan area. I don't know the exit number, but if you take a left at the light (right after you exit) and then head to Belvidere, where you would take a right, you could eaasily make your way to a few nice places.

Once on Belvidere, cross Broad Street (a main road) and take your second right onto Main Street (a one way street). Once on Main Street, if you head west about a mile or so, you will begin to see several smaller establishments on that road. A place called Stella's is about a mile and a half from Belvidere (and it will be on your right). It's quite good, and easy to find. About a block from it is Sticky Rice (a college-type sushi place, but fun) and across from Sticky Rice is Southern Culture (have not had the food there, but great live music--swing bands).

Before you get to Stellas, you will see a place called Six Burner on your left. It's very good as well, although last time I went by, their sign was not out front yet. Next to Six Burner is the Dogwood Grill. Also, good. These are places that I feel are representative of what's going on with Richmond's dining scene, and they are easy to find. There are many other fantastic places, but they could be a little tricker to get to from 95. Hope this helps.

www.theaccidentalchef.net

info@theaccidentalchef.net

kellymonaghan,

whatcha looking for? quick bites/sit down? dollar range? Ethnic/non-ethnic? etc.

I'm pretty open on price and style, but I suppose my preference would be for something that I'm unlikely to be able to duplicate outside Richmond (great sushi & fine French I can get in NYC!).

So maybe that means Southern, or kickass barbecue, or a charming little mom and pop, or a diner with Richmond style.

For the best BBQ in town, head to Benny's BBQ. 2919 Hathaway Road. It's on the southside of Richmond, and a bit tricky to find, so I would suggest using mapquest. It's a total hole in wall, but and excellent place to sample authentic, Virginia-style BBQ (in a vinegar sauce not tomato sauce). Fall off the bone ribs. Awesome homemade bread pudding.

The Accidental Chef

Per kendrabail's original post:

Just got a copy of the March issue of Richmond mag w/ its cover story on the best new restaurants in Richmond.

It lists:

After 5 Cafe at Fabulous Foods

Dogwood

Cafe Lafayette

Comfort

Fleming's

Julep's

Kitchen Table

Of these 7, embarrassingly, I've only been to Comfort, which I really enjoy. Delicious FG tomatoes, pickled watermelon, meatloaf and a bacon-wrapped trout that brought tears to my eyes (& to my heart).

KT is next on my list (hopefully this weekend) and they do make Dogwood and Cafe Lafayette sound good.

I'm a little puzzled by the Fleming's choice but that type of establishment is not my cup of tea anyway.

And Fabulous Foods? Chesterfield County? I'm halfway to Raleigh by the time that I get there?!? :wink: That's just too far to go when there's good food in the city.

I was also happy to see that they gave a brief mention to Binigi's, the Peruvian place on the Northside that is a favorite of mine (although they did misspell the name).

Hey D. Scott,

Nice meeting you the other day, by the way.

I am in total agreement with the Fleming's choice. Not sure how it made it in there. Food there is decidely average (see Style Weekly review) and not even close to the top ten.

Also, including a chain restaurant in a local top ten is a bit blasphemous in my opinion.

Agree with KT, Dogwood's and Comfort though. Would have liked to see something like Bignini's (or some mention of an ethnic restaurant would have been nice) since there are a load of 'em better than Flemings in town.

Millies

Stellas

Edo's Squid/Mama Zu's

all sadly left out (although they have had their mention a zillion times)

http://www.theaccidentalchef.net

• 3 weeks later...

Just wanted to add The Hill Cafe, in the East End on Broad St. and I think 28th... EVERY time I go, it's simple, straight-forward extremely well-prepared and well-presented food: the perfect neighborhood cafe, friendly, reliable and GOOD. "Blue plate specials" only $10 before 6 PM, and superb!