• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Pitting olives

B Edulis

If you don't need to keep the olive whole,  you can just put it on a board or work surface and press the end of the olive with your thumb and the pit will just pop out, but the olive will be split. This is fine for when you need to chop then up or are going to blitz them for tapenade.  

Let me second Terrie - I bought a ŭ olive stoner / cherry pitter at Dean and Deluca and have found it masterful in both objectives. I like it better than the knife technique because it allows you to retain the shape of the cherry or olive, whilst you de-stone.

B, you can always borrow from me!

• 1 year later...

cherry pitters are fine for most olives. Pressing down on soft nicoise works well. The big problem is to pit a cracked olive that seems glued to the flesh. I place them in a single layer on a double thickness of kitchen toweling. THen I hit each one with a heavy pestle and remove the pit. (the toweling helps cushion the blow).

My most efficient method for pitting olives is to smack them firmly with a wooden meat mallet or rolling pin, this works beautifully for preparations like tapenade. It's easy to pick out and discard the pits.