• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Update on a soon booming region

Andre

Now that most Hungarian officials are sweating to prepare for May 1st [joining the E.U.] Several things are hapening in Tokaji.

I mentioned the seperation of Royal Tokaji from the Tokaji Renaissance group before. Now Royal Tokaji is for sale and negotiating with both local and foreign investors.

Some very nice dry and semi-dry wines are popping out here and there with little hope for big aszu wines although may be still too soon to tell.

Sepzy, one of the best winemakers in Tokaji, is finding no difficulties selling his work of art. Most of the dry wines he produced are already sold out [bourgogne this time ].

- TOKAJI IMPERIAL( THE ONE WHICH HAD THOSE UGLY BOTTLES IN THE SHAPE OF AN AMPHORA) IS UNDER POLICE INVESTIGATION( FALSIFIED WINES I UNDERSTAND) AND DE FACTO CLOSED .

IT SEEMS THAT THE STATE OWND COMPANY IS BEING INDEED PRIVATIZED.

Look out for this region and don't hesitate to stock up on fine vintages of Aszu.

Andre Suidan

I was taught to finish what I order.

Life taught me to order what I enjoy.

The art of living taught me to take my time and enjoy.