• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Sailor Jerry Spiced Rum

Cusina

On a whim, mostly because I liked the artwork on the bottle and the story on the back, I purchased a bottle of Sailor Jerry spiced rum. It was only $13.99 and to be honest I didn't expect much. My previous experience of dark rum has been limited to Captain Morgans (which I flat out don't like) and Meyers which I liken to a molasses cookie with some aftereffects.

I was pleasantly suprised. Sailor Jerry is very sweet, but not bad at all. It has an intense but very pleasant flavor and at 94 proof it seems to take the edge off the cold weather quite well. So, now I have a few questions. What exactly is the spice in a rum like this one? I taste vanilla bean for certain plus more. I'm not sure what. Cloves maybe? Is the rum infused like a flavored vodka would be?

Are there other spiced rums out there that are worthwhile? I would be interested to try a few different varieties.

And finally, any good suggestions for drink recipes?

What's wrong with peanut butter and mustard? What else is a guy supposed to do when we are out of jelly?

-Dad

Foursquare, imported by Spirit of Hartford, is an EXCELLENT spiced rum.

http://www.foursquarerum.com/

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host