• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The best dish

What is your favorite dish/menu item in the Seattle Area? What dish haunts you until you have to go and get it?

“"When you wake up in the morning, Pooh," said Piglet at last, "what's the first thing you say to yourself?"

"What's for breakfast?" said Pooh. "What do you say, Piglet?"

"I say, I wonder what's going to happen exciting today?" said Piglet.

Pooh nodded thoughtfully.

"It's the same thing," he said.”

the barley green noodle chow mein at shanghai garden. followed closely by the crispy chicken with orange sauce and the crispy shrimp with sweet chili sauce on the same menu. man o man i have a soft spot for that stuff.

Edited by kieran (log)

I haven't been in a while since we now live in W. Seattle, but even tho' it was my husband who always ordered it, we usually shared and I still crave Cafe Lago's lasagna. I never really have the desire to eat it anywhere else. I think it's because their tomato sauce is the food equivalent of crack for me.

honey walnut prawns at lee's asian on california...i'm a whore for those.

i can't stop thinking about the halibut cheeks (and the accompanying grits of joy) i had at lark last week...does that count?

crab cake benedict from kingfish. and half a biscuit.

from overheard in new york:

Kid #1: Paper beats rock. BAM! Your rock is blowed up!

Kid #2: "Bam" doesn't blow up, "bam" makes it spicy. Now I got a SPICY ROCK! You can't defeat that!

--6 Train

Anything Hajime does with albacore, at Mashiko's. I'm a whore and a half for those!

Damn...got myself jonesin' and I'm halfway across the country...

"Shameful or not, she harbored a secret wish

for pretty, impractical garments."

Barbara Dawson Smith

*Too Wicked to Love*

The pomme frites at Cafe Campagne. I don't care about wether they have ketchup either!

BTW what's with the cute names for grit? Grits of Joy? Sexy Grits? I don't even want to think about sex and Jan Birenbaum on the same night!

Edited by Coop (log)

David Cooper

"I'm no friggin genius". Rob Dibble

http://www.starlinebyirion.com/

Chicken-Fried Steak (as part of the County Breakfast) at St. Clouds. Man-oh-man... it's so much better than it deserves to be.

<And now I am off to wrack my brain for something a little more highbrow, so y'all don't think I've lost it.>

Anita Crotty travel writer & mexican-food addictwww.marriedwithdinner.com

Catfish po'boy at Matt's in the Market.

(but I never seem to order it - throw by the slab o' fish specials.)

Any sandwich at Salumi.

Grilled romaine salad at Zoe. Raviolo too.

lala - you didn't confess your own choice(s).

Edited by tsquare (log)

salt n pepper prawns from any chinese joint that makes them well.

the hong kong style noodles at Sea Garden

Ginger & green onion crab at Sea Garden

oeufs meurette at Cafe Campagne

uh... that's just a few

Born Free, Now Expensive

…oh yes, and my old comfort food fave from that dear-departed breakfast favorite of ours, Cool-Hand Luke's - the Imperial Mix-up. Wow. I am a sucker for a big pile of beautifully fried rice, veggies and Portugese sausage. Has anyone had St. Clouds' version? I just read on their menu that they offer it. I'm afraid to try…either I'll like it and become addicted again or I'll be disappointed and miss it all over again. Then again I might remember that I have a life outside of fried rice :rolleyes:

Edited by syd-vicious (log)

hey tsquare...

Mekong Grill (pork) at Noodle Ranch

Corned Beef Hash at Ettas

7 flavor beef at Lee's

Baguette and butter from Dahlia Bakery

Sesame Scallops at Uptown China (not on the menu, special request)

chocolate fudge cake at Chinooks

“"When you wake up in the morning, Pooh," said Piglet at last, "what's the first thing you say to yourself?"

"What's for breakfast?" said Pooh. "What do you say, Piglet?"

"I say, I wonder what's going to happen exciting today?" said Piglet.

Pooh nodded thoughtfully.

"It's the same thing," he said.”

Ok, I'm going to have to continue to extoll the virtues of Salumi. Due to a relative's concern over Mad Cow (isn't it mostly pork?), we had lots of assorted sliced salami/cured salty meats/sausage/whatever you call them left over after our big party last weekend - next to perfection in the dictionary MIGHT be a picture of a large meat platter from Salumi :smile:

So....we've been snacking on salami every night since and I now crave it, crave, crave, crave salami every day. Oh my. But the bag is getting low…

…"you'd be so nice to come home to" …