• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Background music FROM HELL

all-u-care-2

At my favorite Chinese place today (Great Wall, 15th/Allen, Allentown), instead of the usual "lite" radio station, the staff was playing one of their (native-language) CDs.

Well, sir, that stereo system were still playing THE SAME SONG when I left as when I came in!!

The singer and the pace of the song (to me, anyhow) brought to mind Debby Boone warbling "You Light Up My Life" back in the 70s.

But, the CD =skipped= repeatedly, making what was probably only a four-minute song seem like 20 to 30! "Hey Jude" would be a quickie by comparison!

The staff seemed not to care, to be honest, managing only modest chuckles when I (among many others!) brought it up.

I don't want to give up on this place -- their seafood selection rocks -- but I hope this little problem isn't a sign of a much bigger one. No restaurant is going to succeed if the background music makes for lost appetites.

BOB

Well, I'd tend to think given they've been around for upwards of five to six years their English would be pretty good, at least the management and the senior waitstaff. It's hardly the crummiest place in town, and goes to great pains to keep smokers and nonsmokers from clashing; plus there's a National Guard armory across the street, if they're not in the Middle East or wherever they descend on this place in droves.

Maybe there's a deeper issue between this tune and somebody working there, something none of us need delve into.

BOB

There was this wedding rehearsal dinner that I attended. I don't even want to name the restaurant, because I know this was a fluke. But in the middle of dessert, "If You Wanna Be Happy" by Jimmy Soul began playing.

Sample lyrics from the song:

If you wanna be happy for the rest of your life,

Never make a pretty woman your wife.

So for my personal point of view,

Get an ugly girl to marry you.

I've DJ'ed for over 15 years. I can name that tune in 3 notes. I went diving for a manager, who could not be found. By the time I got back to the table, the bride was fuming, and the groom was about to hurt himself to try to keep from laughing.

Screw it. It's a Butterball.

I've DJ'ed for over 15 years. I can name that tune in 3 notes. I went diving for a manager, who could not be found. By the time I got back to the table, the bride was fuming, and the groom was about to hurt himself to try to keep from laughing.

Priceless. :biggrin:

Also shows that if you wanna be happy for the rest of your life, marry someone with a sense of humor!

There was this wedding rehearsal dinner that I attended. I don't even want to name the restaurant, because I know this was a fluke. But in the middle of dessert, "If You Wanna Be Happy" by Jimmy Soul began playing.

Sample lyrics from the song:

If you wanna be happy for the rest of your life,

Never make a pretty woman your wife.

So for my personal point of view,

Get an ugly girl to marry you.

Next on the playlist were J. Geils "Love Stinks" and Nine Inch Nails "Head Like a Hole"* :raz:

*"...Bow down before the one you serve, you're going to get what you deserve..."

I suggested both of these songs to my wife as our wedding song. I can't understand why she wouldn't agree :biggrin:

John

"I can't believe a roasted dead animal could look so appealing."--my 10 year old upon seeing Peking Duck for the first time.

I was in a restaurant/bar not too long ago that decided to play the ENTIRE Michael Jackson Thriller album. Now, one or two songs, no problem, but the whole thing??!!

I requested they change the music, as did several other patrons, to no avail. Finally we left with just about everyone else in the place. As we went out we passed three scantily clad women at the end of the bar who were really drunk and groovin out to MJ. Every time one of them leaned over while "dancing" her shirt dipped down to her navel amusing the bartenders to no end. :rolleyes: No wonder they wouldn't change the music! But I'll bet they had a bad till night. I can't bring myself to go back. I'm scarred forever.

What's wrong with peanut butter and mustard? What else is a guy supposed to do when we are out of jelly?

-Dad