• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

lunch in Dundee or nearby

I'm going to be taking some friends visiting from out of town to a few wineries on Sunday. I'm thinking Argyle, Archery Summit and Lange. Is there a good spot for lunch around there? It doesn't seem like the Ponzi wine bar really has much food from what I can tell from the website and the Dundee Bistro is raising my "oh god they're trying turn into Napa" hackles. Is there something worthwhile (we're all on budgets, so if it's pricey it needs to be good) or should we pack a picnic or just plan on visiting after lunch?

thanks,

trillium

The couple times I've done trips to the area I've really liked the Dundee Bistro. Nothing earth-shattering, but good, interesting food. The other place I've had lunch, that I liked, was 24 Brix. Good sandwiches and soups. It's in Gaston though, so probably too much out of the way if you're going to the Dundee area.

Most women don't seem to know how much flour to use so it gets so thick you have to chop it off the plate with a knife and it tastes like wallpaper paste....Just why cream sauce is bitched up so often is an all-time mytery to me, because it's so easy to make and can be used as the basis for such a variety of really delicious food.

- Victor Bergeron, Trader Vic's Book of Food & Drink, 1946

Avoid Ponzi Winebar like the plague...friend and I had a terrible meal there. Waitservice was surly and very, very slow. Food was awful...I had ordered a pizza, friend, a burger. Kitchen timing was really bad...I watched as my pizza was done, and set out on a plate on the bar for 10 minutes ( I timed it), while friend's burger was being cooked.

Cold, clammy, no flavor pizza (no sauce, even though it did not say this on the menu), greasy overdone burger. Response to complaint was a shrug of the shoulders.

Please, go elsewhere...

“"When you wake up in the morning, Pooh," said Piglet at last, "what's the first thing you say to yourself?"

"What's for breakfast?" said Pooh. "What do you say, Piglet?"

"I say, I wonder what's going to happen exciting today?" said Piglet.

Pooh nodded thoughtfully.

"It's the same thing," he said.”

I found most places in "wine country", including Dundee Bistro, to be overrated and overpriced, though not bad. So just don't go in expecting something as special as most reviews and word of mouth suggests. Haven't ever been there in the off-season, though.