• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

A "Sound of Music" Party

adrober

my favorite,

the night Sweeney got a little too "energetic" during one of his kills, and a big glob of shaving cream and stage blood went thwaap across my music, while I was playing. I didn't miss a beat.

Other musicals that would make for great dinner parties--how about watching Sunday in the Park with George, and having a picnic on the floor, complete with blankets and baskets?

Guys and Dolls with a speakeasy theme? More booze than food, but it'd be fun!

:blink:

Oooofff. Your orchestra librarian must've loved that to pieces. I bet the music was rented, too, and cost a bunch to replace; Sondheim rarely if ever does business any other way.

On the other hand, Sweeney is a messy(!) musical by definition -- they've got to have run into that problem before. (Imagine how the end-of-year expense reports must read for music maintenance/replacement costs: parts splashed with seawater in the first scene and fake blood and shaving cream elsewhen, scores slashed periodically with razors or put through a meat grinder...expensive show, no?)

Don't forget A Little Night Music..."a weekend in the country/How amusing, how delightfully droll!" after all. Sounds like a road trip excuse to me!

Ehhh. I just wanna get out of this office. Can you tell?

:rolleyes:

Me, I vote for the joyride every time.

-- 2/19/2004

Well if it's Austrian desserts you want, than the Sacher Torte is a must.

Hate to say this but I was in The Hotel Sacher in Vienna on a trip at the beginning of November and my friends and I made a beeline for the venerable place with our Euros clutched in our sweaty little palms ... and we were, to a person, quite disappointed at the great Sacher Torte itself ... actually turned out to be rather dry and not appreciably apricotty ... but the ganache topping and circular chocolate coin decorating the top were quite lovely in flavour and memory .. the schlag itself accompanying our tortes was whipped so stiffly, that one could easily discern each "cell" of fat ... or, dare I say, "globule"?

The coffee, on the other hand, as well as the decor, made the visit worth noting ...

Connoisseurs agree that the best Sacher Torte is had at Demel's, also in the Ersten Bezirk. Demel's claims to have actually invented it, BTW. The other deadly dessert in Vienna is Palatschinken - crepes filled with sweet farmer cheese, topped with powdered sugar and chocolate sauce. MMMMMMMMMMM (Homer Simpson voice). Topfengulatchen run a close second. Something like what we would call a cheese danish. All of these are best enjoyed with a mad Gypsy fiddler playing in your ear.

Mark

I'd love to see someone tackle "The Music Man", especially "Shipoopi". :laugh:

Though I suppose one could do puupuu's for that song. :wink:

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

Connoisseurs agree that the best Sacher Torte is had at Demel's, also in the Ersten Bezirk. Demel's claims to have actually invented it, BTW. The other deadly dessert in Vienna is Palatschinken - crepes filled with sweet farmer cheese, topped with powdered sugar and chocolate sauce. MMMMMMMMMMM (Homer Simpson voice). Topfengulatchen run a close second. Something like what we would call a cheese danish. All of these are best enjoyed with a mad Gypsy fiddler playing in your ear.

I have to agree on the endorsement of Demel's. But there are so many more tempting, more complex desserts than Sacher Torte in Vienna (and in Budapest, for less than half the price!).

The best reason to visit the Hotel Sacher is to relive The Third Man, one of the greatest movies ever made.

What would you serve at a Third Man party? Parrot?

"I don't mean to brag, I don't mean to boast;

but we like hot butter on our breakfast toast!"

• 1 month later...

What should I serve at my "Sound of Music" party?

There is, for example, the option of serving venison a la "Doe a Deer."

Unfortunately, most of my friends are vegetarians. I should probably stick to desserts.

Well, there's actually a famous Viennese cake -- the German name of which I can't remember -- that's made to resemble a rack of venison. Your veggie friends might like that more than they'd like Bambi. But on the other hand, this thread is now long over -- as is the party, most likely -- so ummmm........never mind. :smile:

• 1 month later...

The cake you are referring to is called Ruhruecken. You have make it in a Ruhruecken pan.

Here is the recipe and a picture of the pan. You can find the pan in any good cookery shop (i.e. William-Sonama)

http://www.austriauk.com/austrian%20food%20site/a16.html

The pan:

http://www.alleszumhaus.de/Haushalt/de/dept_8.html

The pan is on the third row on the right. The ruhrueken pan is the pan at the top of the picture.