• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

CantCookStillTry

CantCookStillTry

I absolutely adore older cook books. I love learning and reading about history and culture changing through the medium of food. 

Some recent discoveries. 

Florence Greenbergs Cookery Book - 1947                                                                     Stork Cookery Service (margarine) Recipe Booklets -1950 onward 

Radiation "Regulo-Controlled" Cookery Book - 1927                                                      

reguloflorence.thumb.jpg.0589a2a946e19dfb3b0854f943b2fc83.jpgstorkbooks.thumb.jpg.7ca5b6c010ad2d961e6d86a7f20dde93.jpg

While they are brilliantly informative, I tend not to follow many of the recipes in the older books, sometimes because times and tastes have changed (The "Regulo" would have me boil asparagus for 45 minutes before serving :o) and sometimes because well.... 

hotdogparsnip.thumb.jpg.07df871076ca5b40ca01cbb5561d0bc6.jpg     

It appears to be a recipe for hotdogs, wrapped in ham, baked alongside some cheesy mashed parsnip and served with hot tomato ketchup for dipping. 
I'm sorry 1960 'Stork Around The Shows', I don't think that would be too appealing then or now. 

CantCookStillTry

CantCookStillTry

I absolutely adore older cook books. I love learning and reading about history and culture changing through the medium of food. 

Some recent discoveries. 

Florence Greenbergs Cookery Book - 1947                                                                                                               Stork Cookery Service (margarine) Recipe Booklets -1950 onward 

Radiation "Regulo-Controlled" Cookery Book - 1927                                                      

reguloflorence.thumb.jpg.0589a2a946e19dfb3b0854f943b2fc83.jpgstorkbooks.thumb.jpg.7ca5b6c010ad2d961e6d86a7f20dde93.jpg

While they are brilliantly informative, I tend not to follow many of the recipes in the older books, sometimes because times and tastes have changed (The "Regulo" would have me boil asparagus for 45 minutes before serving :o) and sometimes because well.... 

hotdogparsnip.thumb.jpg.07df871076ca5b40ca01cbb5561d0bc6.jpg     

It appears to be a recipe for hotdogs, wrapped in ham, baked alongside some cheesy mashed parsnip and served with hot tomato ketchup for dipping. 
I'm sorry 1960 'Stork Around The Shows', modern day me is not finding that to her liking.