• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cognac Beginner

jpps1

Hi,

I'm relatively new when it comes to the subtleties and finer aspects of drinking, cognac included. I'd like to try it, but I don't want to seem like an idiot, so can someone run down a proper tasting process for me? Also, what should I expect it to taste like, and how is it made that makes it different from wine?

Cognac is a type of brandy. It's nothing at all like wine, except for the fact that it is made from wine.

As to how to taste it, you want it served warm. Body temperature or a little above. The huge-bowled glasses they serve it in are designed so that you can cup the bottom in your palm and transfer body heat into the contents of the glass. A wide bodied glass with a narrow opening at the top is the best glassware option. Wider is better, as you expose more surface area, and get more vapors evaporating from your drink, which is a good thing.

As a spirit, a whole lot of the process of "tasting" Cognac actually goes on in your nose and sinuses. Before you put your lips to the glass you want to inhale deeply and get a noseful of the vapors coming from your drink. You also want to make sure that you exhale slightly through your nose just after you've taken a sip... that will move the vapors in your mouth up into your olfactory system and more of the flavor experience will hit you.

Cognac is quite variable from brand to brand and from one level of quality to the next... it is also a heavily hyped luxury product... You'll have to taste a bunch of them to find one you particularly like more than the rest, and people's tastes really do vary.

As to the confusing jabber of letters on the bottles:

VS= youngest and roughest

VSOP= somewhat less young and rough

XO= Mellow and expensive

Christopher D. Holst aka "cdh"

Learn to brew beer with my eGCI course

Chris Holst, Attorney-at-Lunch

The huge-bowled glasses they serve it in are designed so that you can cup the bottom in your palm and transfer body heat into the contents of the glass. A wide bodied glass with a narrow opening at the top is the best glassware option. Wider is better, as you expose more surface area, and get more vapors evaporating from your drink, which is a good thing.

I disagree with you on this -- a cognac glass is quite a specific shape but NOT the huge-bowled cup you are describing.

HERE is an image of a cognac glass.

HERE is an image of a Brandy Snifter, the glass you described.

True, cognac can be served in a brandy snifter, but a die-hard cognac lover would prefer their cognac in the proper glass. And a die-hard cognac consumer would NEVER warm their cognac with their hand (that is a brandy thing as well). Wider is not necessarily better with cognac.

Hair-splitting? Yep. Bottom line? Brandy vs. Cognac: Brandy is the general name for an after-dinner drink made from distilled grapes; it should be sipped slowly while canoodling. Cognac is brandy from a specific place in France called, of all things, Cognac (what were the odds?). It should be sipped slowly while canoodling while on an expense account.

Hi,

I'm relatively new when it comes to the subtleties and finer aspects of drinking, cognac included. I'd like to try it, but I don't want to seem like an idiot, so can someone run down a proper tasting process for me? Also, what should I expect it to taste like, and how is it made that makes it different from wine?

I know less than you do, but would like to learn, so you are already a step ahead! Keep asking questions, there is always someone who is glad you did for them.

True Heroism is remarkably sober, very undramatic.

It is not the urge to surpass all others at whatever cost,

but the urge to serve others at whatever cost. -Arthur Ashe

I disagree with you on this -- a cognac glass is quite a specific shape but NOT the huge-bowled cup you are describing.

HERE is an image of a cognac glass.

HERE is an image of a Brandy Snifter, the glass you described.

Hmmm.... are the tall tulip glasses really an old-fashioned Cognac tradition, or are they the fruits of the Riedels' engineering and marketing? Riedel makes all sorts of interestingly shaped glasses for specific stuff... does anybody else make Cognac glasses of the same shape? Or has Riedel gotten itself a 100% market share of die-hard cognac consumers?

And a die-hard cognac consumer would NEVER warm their cognac with their hand (that is a brandy thing as well). Wider is not necessarily better with cognac.

Interesting... I'll have to try my next Cognac from a tall glass at room temperature and see if it tastes any better. Silly me thinking that the same rules applied to brandy and Cognac... being the same thing and all...

Edited by cdh (log)

I took part in a cigar dinner with a members only club (in the days I was employed by ClubCorp) wherein I conducted a cognac tasting. Lemme grab my old scribbled notes....

Cognac is a brandy, and a distilled wine. However not all brandies are cognac.

Cognac is produced in the Cognac region of France, just north of Bordeaux from Ugni Blanc grapes, although Folle Blanche and Colombard are sometimes used too. Cognac is comprised of six areas -- the best are Grande Champagne and Petite Champagne. The other areas are Fins Bois, Borderies, Bons Bois and Bois.

Cognac, and many brandies, are rated by age.

AC - I think, is aged for two years in wood.

(Not sure what the abbreviation stands for, as a few here know, my French stinks!)

V.S. - "Very Special" 3 stars; aged 3 years

V.S.O.P - "Very Special Old Pale" 5 stars; aged 5 years

X.O - Extra Old; aged 6 years+

Cognac production is highly regulated. It is distilled twice in small copper pot stills ("Charente Alembic Pot Still"), cannot exceed 72% alcohol after the second distillation and is poured into oak casks. All cognac producers hand make their barrels ( cooperage ) from oak only from the Limousin or Troncais forests.

The first distillation is referred to as Premiere Chauffe and produces the clear spirit brovillis.

The second distillation is called Bome Chauffe and produces an eau de vie (water of life).

I haven't found an XO I didn't like. :raz:

Only to confuse things a bit more, how about armagnac?

Cheers!

Edited by beans (log)

Hmmm.... are the tall tulip glasses really an old-fashioned Cognac tradition, or are they the fruits of the Riedels' engineering and marketing? Riedel makes all sorts of interestingly shaped glasses for specific stuff... does anybody else make Cognac glasses of the same shape? Or has Riedel gotten itself a 100% market share of die-hard cognac consumers?

Interesting... I'll have to try my next Cognac from a tall glass at room temperature and see if it tastes any better. Silly me thinking that the same rules applied to brandy and Cognac... being the same thing and all...

Hmmmm... THAT is an interesting question!

All I know is that I bought Shawn really nice, expensive AND expansive balloon glasses for him to enjoy his cognac (it is not a beverage I particular crave or enjoy).

THEN we went to a Cognac-appreciation course where they discussed the detriments of the balloon glass and the belief that Cognac should not be warmed up. We bought him some of the Cognac glasses.

He tried both glasses side-by-side (just like we did when we started buying Riedel and Spiegelau wine glasses) and noticed a discernable difference. Enough so that now the expensive balloon glasses sit snuggly in their original boxes, not having been used since (four years ago!).

I'll be interested to hear what you have to say after you've tried it (especially since I'm NOT an expert -- I'm just repeating what I've heard often enough...)

Oops, got all excited about a spirit I really enjoy and forgot.... :unsure:

Welcome to eG jpps1! :cool:

Also, what should I expect it to taste like, ....

Cognac aromas: (yes, enjoy the aroma, hmmmmm)

Vanilla, oakwood, burnt orange, aged leather, subtle peppery/spice notes, some floral

Taste: (common descriptors)

mellow, round, honey, vanilla, deep, lingering, rich

Brandy vs. Cognac: Brandy is the general name for an after-dinner drink made from distilled grapes; it should be sipped slowly while canoodling. Cognac is brandy from a specific place in France called, of all things, Cognac (what were the odds?). It should be sipped slowly while canoodling while on an expense account.

:laugh: I like the expense account reference!

And to clarify what Chris Holst said:

V.S. (Very Special), Sélection, de Luxe. The youngest spirit of the assembly may not be less than four and a half years old. Often the spirits are much older.

V.S.O.P. (Very Special/Superior Old Pale), Réserve... The youngest spirit in the assembly for VSOP's, also called Reserve Cognacs is between four and a half and six and a half years old.

Napoléon, Impérial, Hors d'âge, Vieille Réserve, X.O. (Extra Old) All terms like Napoleon, XO or "very old" are assemblies of spirits that are at least six and a half years old. However, most Cognacs are well above this minimum imposed by the regulation. Some of the most prestigious names assemble spirits that are each at least dozens of years above the minimum required.

So this explains the price tag, I hope :smile:

Tasting requires the same order as wine tasting.

1) Visual inspection for color, transparency and viscosity. No cloudiness or sediment.

2) Olfactory inspection (swirl & sniff) for primary and secondary aromatics.

3) Taste small sip, hold in your mouth and evaluate the "taste" (acidity, bitterness, softness, etc.) and evaluate the "feel" (body, weight, warmth, astringency, etc.)

The tulip shaped glasses do seem to be the vessel of choice for this process.

Some of my favorites are the Hine (Rare & Delicate, Antique or Triomphe), the Ferrand Ambre or the Kelt Tour du Monde which travels the world on the deck of a ship before bottling. Supposedly the "rolling" travel in the oak barrels will develop and smooth the cognac as it did in the days of seafaring freight and before bottling at the source became more popular. I wouldn't know if that's true, having not sampled the "un-voyaged" spirit, but I do know it's REALLY smooth & tasty!

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

Only to confuse things a bit more, how about armagnac?

Like it a lot. Generally prefer it to Cognac, actually. Distilled with a different type of still than they use in Cognac.

Okay, while I've got the notes out. :raz: (I enjoy armagnac too, but not often enough!).

Armagnac is produced in the Gascony region of France and usually requires longer aging than Cognac. There are three Armagnac regions: Bas Armanac, Tenareze and Haut Armagnac. It is produced from wine using mostly Ugni Blanc, Picpoul, Colombard, Blanquette and Baco grapes. It is distilled in a single-distillation continuous Armagnac still, then aged in local "black" Monlezun oak. The Bas Armagnac area is believed to produce the finest Armagnac.

The labelling of Armagnac has changed, from what I think I've read, for simplification purposes.

Armagnac - aged less than 5 years old

Vieil Armagnac - blend over 6 years old

Vintage - single year, at least 10 years old

Banche d'Armagnac, young and not aged in wood.

or

(I think this is the older, traditional labelling).

VS - aged 2 years

VO, VSOP or Réserve - aged at least 5 years

XO, Extra, Napoléon and Vieille Réserve - aged at least 6 years

Hors d’Age - aged at least 10 years

Armagnac also may carry a vintage date on the label.

THEN we went to a Cognac-appreciation course where they discussed the detriments of the balloon glass and the belief that Cognac should not be warmed up. We bought him some of the Cognac glasses.

I wonder if the Cognac rules apply to other brandies too. If the Riedel glasses' new and different aerodynamics get more vapor to your nose with less surface are exposed and at lower temperatures, then they should work for any brandy, not just Cognac.

Edited by cdh (log)

All I know is that I bought Shawn really nice, expensive AND expansive balloon glasses for him to enjoy his cognac (it is not a beverage I particular crave or enjoy).

I shelled out for the "tulipe"-shaped Cognac glasses as well, and I'm glad I did! To me, it does make for quite an improvement.

This is from le-cognac.com:

What is the ideal shape for a Cognac glass?

Some of the world's most prestigious restaurants serve their best Cognacs in a gigantic 'ballon' glass. The aroma of the Cognac rises straight into the nose, thus concentrating the smell and overwhelming the taste buds. True connoisseurs choose a smaller glass in a tulip shape. Containing 13cl, it should only be filled with 2.5cl. In such a glass the aroma is concentrated before revealing itself steadily, allowing time to discover its subtle fragrances, observe its delicate color and mellow before even sipping it.

Cheers,

Squeat

In a few hours that many responses ? :biggrin: I think I'll add one more thing, please, please !!! as a beginner, do drink lots of water on the side - Many a folk underestimate the brandy and get severly dehydrated and the consequences are that the experience is not at all positive.

anil

I can't stand drinking cognac (or other types of brandy) in a big ballon snifter thing. It hurts my nose way too much, I actually get a burning sensation in my sinuses that blocks the taste if I try it that way. I drink it in the same thing I drink cocktails in, which are old, heavy bottomed glasses the either are curvy (with the top being wider than the bottom) or just increase in circumfrence from bottom to top in a straight ahead way (ok, I suck at describing 3D objects in text).

Recent favorites have been a Ragnaud I can't find anymore and Pierre Seguinot "Age Inconnú", which I'm enjoying right now. I usually just wait for a nice bottle from a small producer to be marked down about 40% during Sam's annual werehouse sale and go from there. We buy about one bottle a year, and around our house it goes by the simple title of "the good stuff".

Agree about drinking water on the side, the same goes for any sort of alcoholic beverage that isn't initially diluted with lots of other liquids.

regads,

trillium

No one has talked much about brands, but if you're a beginner and want a moderately priced intro to cognac and armagnac, I really like Chalfonte VSOP (~$20) and Janneau (~$30) respectively. If money isn't an issue and you can jump straight to the $100 stuff, by all means do so....

Most women don't seem to know how much flour to use so it gets so thick you have to chop it off the plate with a knife and it tastes like wallpaper paste....Just why cream sauce is bitched up so often is an all-time mytery to me, because it's so easy to make and can be used as the basis for such a variety of really delicious food.

- Victor Bergeron, Trader Vic's Book of Food & Drink, 1946

Calvados also should be mentioned on this thread. Made from distilled fermented apple cider, in Normandy, I believe. Hors d'Age and Pays d'Auge are the two types that I recall. The more readily available brands are Busnel and Broulard, iwth Busnel being my favorite.

In a few hours that many responses ?  :biggrin:

Aw, but sip or two of Louis XIII and you'll understand the fascination/love affair.

:wub::wub::wub:

*sigh*

Beans:

A excellent suggestion, but very cost prohibitive. Last time I checked a bottle of Louis XIII was about $1150/bottle!

You are paying for that exquisite Lalique crystal decanter it comes in... :wub:

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

Calvados also should be mentioned on this thread. Made from distilled fermented apple cider, in Normandy, I believe. Hors d'Age and Pays d'Auge are the two types that I recall. The more readily available brands are Busnel and Broulard, iwth Busnel being my favorite.

Ah, the third part of my "lecture" for that same cigar tasting...

Calvados is from the Normandy region of France and is a brandy made from fermented apple or, sometimes pear, juice. The cider is distilled to produce what is called petites eaux; then distilled for a second time and also called bonne chauffe.

3 stars - aged for at least 2 years

Old or Reserve - aged 3 years

VO, Vieille Réserve or VSOP - aged 4 years

Extra or La Napoléon (exceptional age) - usually aged at least 6 years

All of it, Calvados, Armagnac and Cognac -- yummy! :wub:

If I was just in a restaurant, where the difference is 15 dollars between a glass of V.S. and X.O., is it worth it for the cognac "newbie" to get the X.O.? Or am I not well-versed enough to appreciate it?

In a few hours that many responses ?  :biggrin:

Aw, but sip or two of Louis XIII and you'll understand the fascination/love affair.

:wub::wub::wub:

*sigh*

Beans:

A excellent suggestion, but very cost prohibitive. Last time I checked a bottle of Louis XIII was about $1150/bottle!

You are paying for that exquisite Lalique crystal decanter it comes in... :wub:

Our restaurant owner got a bottle of Louis XIII on one of his trips (I think to the Bahamas), along with Hennessy Paradis, Richard Hennessy, Usquaebach Gold Elite 50 scotch whisky, Usquaebach Silver Elite 25 scotch whisky, and Bacardi Millenium. There was another bottle that we tasted in this bunch that was a cobalt blue, ceramic "jar" with a deer's head on it, that I cannot remember it's name....

It was a fun afternoon when he returned with all of these goodies. :raz: