• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Eating my way from Phoenix to Napa

BouchonIntern

Well, First of all, this is my first time posting on this board...I have been a voyer on egullet for a couple months now. I have learned alot and enjoyed everyones humor and opinions.

I just finished culinary school and will be on my way to Napa to do my externship at Bouchon. I will be done with my current job on the 8th of january and leaving to Napa on the 9th. I have 6 days to spare till I have to be there so I plan to stop at as many places as possible on my way up...suggestions would be appreciated.

Ian

Ian W

Former Chef / Partner, Cafe La Terre and Bistro V Express

Sebastopol, CA

Currently living the culinary dream in South East Asia.

First off, welcome to the Board and secondly, Congrats on the Bouchon Internship! Very cool, indeed...

I've never driven the Phoenix to Napa route, but I have driven the Phoenix to L.A. route (haven lived in L.A. for a number of years) and I now live in Napa.

As opposed to an extended road trip, you might benefit from heading straight to Napa and simply eating in and around the area to learn what the locals are accostomed to and get your feel of the area. Also, the time immediately before and after New Years is a great time of year to visit the wineries -- tourism is oddly high and the energy in the valley is exciting. The wineries are beautifully decorated and everyone is relaxed and more friendly than the hectic summer months.

I'm shutting our winery down until January 5th, but would be happy to give you a private tour that week (only the Vineyard Manager and myself are manning the place). PM me and I'll give you the info. We'll look forward to meeting you at some point during your stay!

Best of luck!

Depending on how you want to get from Phoenix to Napa, you might have a chance to try the French cafe in Lone Pine in the Owens Valley. It seems stranger than fiction, but the truth is that The Still Life Cafe does exist, it is run by a French couple, and it is undoubtedly the best restaurant in Lone Pine. It may well be the best restaurant in a 50-mile (100-mile?) radius.

A bonus in going this way and trying this place out is that the scenery along the east crest of the Sierra Nevada is certain to be breathtaking. Another bonus, is that we would get a report on this out of the way culinary oasis.

Edited by chaud-froid (log)

Congratulations and welcome, Ian. We'll look forward to hearing about your Bouchon experiences. I think I'd second Carolyn's recommendation to head for the Bay Area and get a feel for your new surroundings before you have to start work. If you decide to bypass LA by heading north through Las Vegas be sure to stop at Lotus of Siam for excellent northern Thai cuisine.

Lobster.

Thank you for your suggestions...I will most likely just head straight up now (good idea) I also plan to leave regular messages on my experience at Bouchon, as well and TFL when it re-opens. Thank you Carolyn, see you soon.

Thanks, Ian

Ian W

Former Chef / Partner, Cafe La Terre and Bistro V Express

Sebastopol, CA

Currently living the culinary dream in South East Asia.