• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

I got some Deus yesterday.

LJDolan

Saturday, I made the trip up to State Line Liquors in Elkton, MD mainly to but some Old Horizontal (it's having trouble making it to DC). And lo and behold - State Line had Deus. I just had to get some (pricey at almost $24 a bottle). This is a champagne like beer. It goes through a traditional fermentation and maturation in Belgium. Then is goes through a remuage and degorgement in France (can any wine people translate for me?).

I am having trouble describing the taste, mainly because I have never tasted anything like it before. All I know is that it is one of the best beers I have ever had.

I am friends with the owners of Breaux Vineyards in Virginia. I can hardly wait to share a bottle with them and see how they like it.

remuage and degorgement

It's the method by which sediment, i.e. dead yeast, is removed from the bottle.

The bottles are placed in a rack, upside down at about a 45 degree angle and given a few small twists per day. Eventually the sediment will work its way into the neck of the bottle. The neck is frozen, freezing the sediment buildup. The bottle is uncorked, the sediment plug is removed and the bottle is recapped/corked.

John

"I can't believe a roasted dead animal could look so appealing."--my 10 year old upon seeing Peking Duck for the first time.