• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

TicTac

TicTac

With 3 kids under 5, we no longer (and thankfully so) brave the elements nor the crowds but rather have an open house for other friends/families with little ones and celebrate the 'new year' around 8:30 or so! 

But that does not mean us adults cannot enjoy some good eats...over the last 5 years I have evolved to simply want to put out a big spread and let people graze at their leisure (I used to do 5-10 course tasting menus which were very involved and did not allow me much time to relax).  This year on the table will be:

- Home made smoked mackerel spread

- House cured gravlax

- 'Pinwheels' (rolled and sliced puff pastry variations)

- BlackBird Baking Co Breads

- Selection of cheeses including:  Reblochon, Tomme De Savoie, Grey Owl, St. Agur & a few mini unpasteurized goat cheeses

- Prosciutto di Parma, smoked duck breast

- Seared Foie Gras toasts w Cherry gastrique

- Hearts of Palm salad

- Meyer lemon Ice as a palate cleanser somewhere between all the fat!

A few good bottles of wine to accompany and any other items friends bring by.

TicTac

TicTac

I think the mods should create a 2017 version - otherwise it all becomes jumbled and messy!  I was going to start something but Shelby you beat me to it. 

With 3 kids under 5, we no longer (and thankfully so) brave the elements nor the crowds but rather have an open house for other friends/families with little ones and celebrate the 'new year' around 8:30 or so! 

But that does not mean us adults cannot enjoy some good eats...over the last 5 years I have evolved to simply want to put out a big spread and let people graze at their leisure (I used to do 5-10 course tasting menus which were very involved and did not allow me much time to relax).  This year on the table will be:

- Home made smoked mackerel spread

- House cured gravlax

- 'Pinwheels' (rolled and sliced puff pastry variations)

- BlackBird Baking Co Breads

- Selection of cheeses including:  Reblochon, Tomme De Savoie, Grey Owl, St. Agur & a few mini unpasteurized goat cheeses

- Prosciutto di Parma, smoked duck breast

- Seared Foie Gras toasts w Cherry gastrique

- Hearts of Palm salad

- Meyer lemon Ice as a palate cleanser somewhere between all the fat!

A few good bottles of wine to accompany and any other items friends bring by.