• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

eG Foodblog: ronnie_suburban - A high volume week

Georgians, etc.

former USSR Georgians?

Yeah Herb...there are at least 2 Georgian places (one a bakery) on Devon Avenue.

=R=

"Hey, hey, careful man! There's a beverage here!" --The Dude, The Big Lebowski

LTHForum.com -- The definitive Chicago-based culinary chat site

ronnie_suburban 'at' yahoo.com

Ok guys...the end is very near...

*applause* :biggrin:

Tiffin turned out to be not as good as it usually is. Some of the dishes tasted completely different than they normally do. Was it an off day? Was it a new chef? I cannot say for sure but, in either case, it certainly wasn't bad, just different and as such, it did not quite scratch the itch like it usually does.

As promised, here are a few pics of Tiffin and the neighborhood...

DevonAvenue.jpg

Street scene on Devon Avenue.

OutsideTiffin.jpg

A couple of folks I happen to know. :wink:

Environs.jpg

The dining room at Tiffin. Love that blue sky.

Verycoolbar.jpg

The bar at Tiffin.

Still, even considering our slight disappointment with the food, there were no worries. We had a few friends over to the office and had a gigantic Indian feast which included the following items:

chicken makhani

chicken tika masala

tandoori chicken

lamb pasanda

lamb vindaloo

gohbi

dal makhani

naan

samosas

peas pulao

raita

coriander chutney

tamarind chutney

Needless to say, even now, 5 1/2 hours after the fact, I'm still not hungry in the least. Perhaps later we'll make some dinner; I do want to make Fresser's green beans (bought oyster sauce and sesame seeds for those) and we do have some chicken breasts marinating but right now, I just can't even think about eating. We fed the boy one of the chicken breasts, some leftover rice from Tiffin and little salad with ranch dressing, his favorite.

I guess there's one other food 'highlight' to report. Because of the holiday season we've had people in and out of our office, dropping off gifts and such this week. Yesterday we received a bottle of 1973 Dom Perignon from a vendor and today another vendor brought us a bottle of 1985 Dom Perignon. This morning we iced them both down and at the end of the day (today being the last day in 2003 when all of us will be together at the office) cracked them open with our friends.

Both of them were great but we drank the '73 first and because of that the '85 wasn't really in the same league. It was still damned tasty but it was so much sweeter than the '73 was. The '73 was just a laser beam; totally crisp and bubbly but delightfully dry beyond anything I've ever experienced before. What a treat they were!

Anyway that's about it for my blog--I really mean it this time. :wink: I'm handing blog reins off to jackal10 and he will take us all through Christmas week with him.

Thanks again everyone for playing along. It's really been a lot of fun.

=R=

Edited by ronnie_suburban (log)

A monumental effort. Nice Work.

I enjoyed every virtual bite and every last calorie and certainly hope that you do a blog of your quad bypass :laugh::raz:

Maybe you could review hospital food from an "on your back" perspective. :wacko:

Thanks again. Happy Holidays up to you and yours in the Frozen North.

Brooks Hamaker, aka "Mayhaw Man"

There's a train everyday, leaving either way...

I enjoyed every virtual bite and every last calorie and certainly hope that you do a blog of your quad bypass :laugh:  :raz:

Well if it happens, feel free to tell anyone who asks after me that I took one for the team :wink::biggrin:

Happy Holidays to you and yours. :smile:

=R=

I enjoyed every virtual bite and every last calorie and certainly hope that you do a blog of your quad bypass :laugh:  :raz:

Well if it happens, feel free to tell anyone who asks after me that I took one for the team :wink::biggrin:

Happy Holidays to you and yours. :smile:

=R=

The whole thing is, when you get right down to it, all about teamwork. :laugh:

Peace on Earth

Brooks Hamaker, aka "Mayhaw Man"

There's a train everyday, leaving either way...

Ok folks...move along, there's nothing to see here. :wink:

OTOH, here's something worth reading...jackal10's foodblog

=R=