• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Congrats to Victory Brewing Company

Susan in FL

Just got the online newsletter from Bill Covaleski, with lots of good news, including that soon they will no longer be classified as a microbrewery, and instead, a regional craft brewery... Way to go, Victory Brewing Company, who makes my all-time favorite beer in the world. Cheers, and Congratulations!

Life is short; eat the cheese course first.

Just got the online newsletter from Bill Covaleski, with lots of good news, including that soon they will no longer be classified as a microbrewery, and instead, a regional craft brewery...  Way to go, Victory Brewing Company, who makes my all-time favorite beer in the world.  Cheers, and Congratulations!

I've always contended that these guys dont know how to make a bad beer (well, with the exception of some of those V-10s that were positively weirdly undrinkable, more of a bottling problem, I believe), and the drinking public obviously concurs.

I never realized they were making that much beer. The newer styles you would really love, Suzie, are all of their regional pilsners, draft only, each of them distinct and peculiar in their own way; they have a "Schwarzwalder Pils" on tap now at the Grey Lodge Pub in Philly that is just incredible, big and bitey and bracing.

Rich Pawlak

Reporter, The Trentonian

Feature Writer, INSIDE Magazine
Food Writer At Large

MY BLOG: THE OMNIVORE

"In Cerveza et Pizza Veritas"

Nice! We had a Storm King Stout over the weekend. We have a supply of real beer right now. My husband took a trip up north to buy good beer and other foodstuffs that we can't find here.

Richie, I've been trying to pick a time to fly up and visit friends and family, but it's just so hard to bring myself to the cold now. Maybe you have suggested an incentive. I would love to try some of those newer styles you mentioned. Also in the newsletter was notice of a beer dinner in mid to late January, at Novelty. Have you heard of that restaurant? Do you have any inside information? :smile:

And oh how I would love to have a drink of Old Horizontal... There are no barleywines to be found here!

Richie, I've been trying to pick a time to fly up and visit friends and family, but it's just so hard to bring myself to the cold now. Maybe you have suggested an incentive. I would love to try some of those newer styles you mentioned. Also in the newsletter was notice of a beer dinner in mid to late January, at Novelty. Have you heard of that restaurant? Do you have any inside information? :smile:

And oh how I would love to have a drink of Old Horizontal... There are no barleywines to be found here!

Novelty is a good restaurant, located, actually, if you can remember back to 1997, right across the street from what once was Jake & Oliver's, that mega-tap place where we all once had brunch, on that fateful first Beer Tour of Philly.

Rich Pawlak

Reporter, The Trentonian

Feature Writer, INSIDE Magazine
Food Writer At Large

MY BLOG: THE OMNIVORE

"In Cerveza et Pizza Veritas"

Novelty is quite good (especially for their fantastic $25 midweek prix fixe menu); I'm sure they'd do a good beer dinner.

As for Victory beers, I like all that I've had (especially Hop Devil and that smooth drinkin' Prima Pils). Maybe with the exception of the Golden Monkey: I can't get into those fancy-schmancy spices...

with the exception of the Golden Monkey: I can't get into those fancy-schmancy spices...

Golden Monkey also suffered from the same infection as the V10 ( in the large bottle ) -- it could have been a bad one.

I find their Belgian ales are excellent but they usually need a little aging or the spices are too dominant. This was especially true of the Grand Cru that they produced this spring and is now in excellent form (although sold out of most shops already)

I too love the Hop Devil. On cask (not keg) at the brewery it was probably the best pint I've ever had in the USA.

with the exception of the Golden Monkey: I can't get into those fancy-schmancy spices...

Golden Monkey also suffered from the same infection as the V10 ( in the large bottle ) -- it could have been a bad one.

No, I've had it on a couple of occasions. Just don't care for it much, that's all.

Actually, I forgot about Golden Monkey. I didn't like it, either. I'm weird about certain spices in beer. I figure that's just my taste, and I assume he does a real fine job on those beers, as well. I'm a die-hard purist hophead, and prefer super-hopped beers without many additions. Which is why I'm not as crazy about some of Dogfish Head's as many are, but Sam is another topic... :smile:

Theakston, I had the same experience once at the bar at Victory, drinking a Hop Devil on cask. I thought to myself, this is the best beer I've ever drank in my life. I don't think I've tasted one as good since.

RP, I sure do remember back to 1997, and still have photos to prove it all, LOL.

Their customer service is as good as their beer. A few years ago I was near Downingtown on business. It was a Monday and unbeknownst to me, Victory is closed on Monday. I had brought my growler, looking forward to getting it filled.

When I got to the brewery I saw the hours posted on the door. Standing at the front door, I called the brewery from my cell phone and asked if they'd open the door so I could buy some beer, and they did it. Way cool, in my book.

I agree that Hop Devil on cask is an amazing beer. I had it at the Grey Lodge Pub a few years ago at one of their Friday the Firkinteenths.

John

"I can't believe a roasted dead animal could look so appealing."--my 10 year old upon seeing Peking Duck for the first time.

Nice to see you again, John! Hows the wife and kids?

Keeping me busy, too tired for NBI and the GLP :angry:

John

"I can't believe a roasted dead animal could look so appealing."--my 10 year old upon seeing Peking Duck for the first time.

John, are you the John from up north we exchanged beer and food with, back in the day?

Nope. I'm from around Philadelphia.

John

John, are you the John from up north we exchanged beer and food with, back in the day?

Nope. I'm from around Philadelphia.

That's where I was thinking, from when we lived in DE, but must not be. My bad.

Cheers, anyway!

Also in the newsletter was notice of a beer dinner in mid to late January, at Novelty.

Susan,

Was there a date mentioned? I looked thru the Victory Fall Newsletter, and didn't see it. No notice on the Novelty website, either. I'd sure like to go. Maybe you could take a trip and join me!

Lisa K

Lavender Sky

"No one wants black olives, sliced 2 years ago, on a sandwich, you savages!" - Jim Norton, referring to the Subway chain.

Lisa, no :sad: , the date was not given. Here's what it said.

The acclaimed Old City Philadelphia restaurant, Novelty, is teaming up with Victory Brewing Company to present a great beer dinner in mid to late January 2004 and we want you all to be advised. This will be one not to miss! Chef David Thorpe and Gen. Mgr. Marianne Schilling visited Victory in November to enjoy the beers and brainstorm menu combinations with Brewmaster Bill. Expect our Varietal Pils, Workhorse Porter and Grand Cru to be involved, among other Victory beers. Chef David's ideas look to be brilliant pairings for the beers.
To get the low-down on the actual date and to make your reservation, contact Novelty at: marianne@noveltyrestaurant.com

Except for the cold, that would be such a good trip. Attend the dinner and stock up on good beer, cheese, and other goodies we miss...

• 1 month later...
Also in the newsletter was notice of a beer dinner in mid to late January, at Novelty.

Susan,

Was there a date mentioned? I looked thru the Victory Fall Newsletter, and didn't see it. No notice on the Novelty website, either. I'd sure like to go. Maybe you could take a trip and join me!

The Victory beer dinner

Menu

Looks good, I will try to be there.

Lisa K

Lavender Sky

"No one wants black olives, sliced 2 years ago, on a sandwich, you savages!" - Jim Norton, referring to the Subway chain.

Lisa, thanks. That does look so good! Why does it have to be when it's so COLD up there?!! If it were not, I would join you.

Off topic, but worthy of mention anywhere in my opinion... We are really enjoying the cheeses we ordered online from DiBruno Brothers. Yum, that Parm-Reg Riserva may be the best Parmesan we've ever tasted. And, we have the best aged Balsamic vinegar we've ever bought, and with some drips of that on it... oh my.

We are really enjoying the cheeses we ordered online from DiBruno Brothers.  Yum, that Parm-Reg Riserva may be the best Parmesan we've ever tasted.  And, we have the best aged Balsamic vinegar we've ever bought, and with some drips of that on it...  oh my.

WOW! I am so glad! The Riserva aka Stravecchio or extra aged really is amazing. one of my favorite cheese as posted here! Our mail order department works extra hard to make sure things arrive safe, sound, and fresh!

Lisa

Lisa K

Lavender Sky

They are doing a great job in mail order, and customer service, too. I sent two emails with questions and they were answered promptly.

Now I know what my next order will include... Number One, Ubriaco Prosecco! Aged Mahon, Very Old St Maure, and Carles Roquefort to follow at some point in time.

Looking forward to reading about Tuesday's beer dinner... Enjoy!

• 2 weeks later...

Hello again,

I didn't make it to the beer dinner, had an emergency doc visit instead :shock:

However, I did have Victory Weizen Bock last night on tap at the Moody Monkey in Jeffersonville, PA. Many of the drinks there have some sort of banana in it and I thought I got a dirty glass, but I was wrong. It tastes like banana puree. I wasn't thrilled by it. Anyone else had it? Ick.

Lisa K

Lavender Sky