• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Lamb powder?

Carlovski

I'm sat here munching on a bag of crisps (Lamb and mint flavour) and I notice a very strange ingredient, 'Lamb Powder'.

How exactly would one go about powdering lamb, if you wished to recreate this savoury treat in ones own kitchen?

I love animals.

They are delicious.

How exactly would one go about powdering lamb, if you wished to recreate this savoury treat in ones own kitchen?

Well, you dry the lamb till there's no moisture left.

Then, you get a REALLY BIG sprice grinder....

:biggrin::biggrin::blink:

A jumped-up pantry boy who never knew his place.

Wow.

Well, it must be just like chicken powder and beef powder.

They put the lamb in an airtight room and suck all the moisture out of it, go in, sweep it into a jar, put in the next lamb.

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

Heh, fimbul. Jinx.

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

I suppose given the lack of an industrial dryer of sufficient capacity, one could just make concentrated lamb stock and freeze dry the result.

Robert Buxbaum

WorldTable

Recent WorldTable posts include: comments about reporting on Michelin stars in The NY Times, the NJ proposal to ban foie gras, Michael Ruhlman's comments in blogs about the NJ proposal and Bill Buford's New Yorker article on the Food Network.

My mailbox is full. You may contact me via worldtable.com.

Anyway, this company makes powdered meats; no lamb, though. Scroll down to the bottom for their meats.

I still can't get over the idea of powdering meat. Good grief, think of the possibilities! Squab pixy stix! Alligator tea! Elk puffs! Shredded wheat "frosted" with pork!

If any one needs me, I'll be at the patent office.

A jumped-up pantry boy who never knew his place.

Anyway, this company makes powdered meats; no lamb, though. Scroll down to the bottom for their meats.

I still can't get over the idea of powdering meat. Good grief, think of the possibilities! Squab pixy stix! Alligator tea! Elk puffs! Shredded wheat "frosted" with pork!

Porterhouse Pocky!

--

Bacon dust!

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

mmm, Powdered chicken fat :raz:

The Lamb and mint crisps are real - I have heard that we tend to have a wider range in the UK than elsewhere.

They are in a fairly new range by Walkers, called sensations - slightly more upmarket than normal crisps, but not as good as things like kettle chips.

There used to be a range called Brannigans whose gimmick was they were cut thicker, and left the skin on. They did Lamb and mint too, and also roast beef and mustard, which were the best crisps ever - every so often one of them would be so mustardy your nose ran and would bring tears to your eyes. And also very tasty. A sort of crunchy version of Pimentos de padron!

I love animals.

They are delicious.

roast beef and mustard

I think I would actually like those and I don't like crisps much, especially flavoured ones.

Sorry, Bux, I think Jinmyo and Fimbul have got it right.  Sort of.  but probably they just use all the nasty bits.

I see they make both powdered broth and powdered cooked meat as well as fat, but who knew rosemary was an antioxidant?

Robert Buxbaum

WorldTable

Recent WorldTable posts include: comments about reporting on Michelin stars in The NY Times, the NJ proposal to ban foie gras, Michael Ruhlman's comments in blogs about the NJ proposal and Bill Buford's New Yorker article on the Food Network.

My mailbox is full. You may contact me via worldtable.com.

I will award a prize of a bag of Lamb and mint crisps to the most imaginative use of powdered meat products.

Gentleman, start your engines!

Mmm, I'll bite.

Based on the powders available at dehymeats.ie (by the way, is that a hilarious name or what?):

Kidney & salt encrusted beef tenderloin with turkey-laced pommes anna.

:blink::unsure::wacko:

Suzanne... I did the "mice" double take, too! Maybe that mouse thread has gone subliminal.

But I did notice... no bacon. :sad:

I would dust my pork butt with turkey powder prior to smoking so that the turkey gets entirely obliterated. I am mad at turkey.

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose