• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Pronouncing "Foie Gras"

Ankimo.

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

Here's a free tip: none of the T's in Montrachet are pronounced.  :biggrin:

Um... isn't the first T pronounced? I've always heard: [mõ-tRa-Se], and [mõ-Ra-Se] just doesn't seem right to me. (NB. I'm using a big "S" in place of the usual IPA symbol for "sh" which doesn't seem to work in Explorer; the big "R" means it is uvular).

One of my favorite mispronunciations, which I think is mentioned in one of Mario Batali's books, is when people say they want their pasta "al dante." As in, "please prepare my pasta in the style of the guy who wrote The Divine Comedy."

Neither T is pronounced. It comes out : moan-rah-shay. Never "Mahn-Trashay" with a hard T.

Mark

Um... isn't the first T pronounced? I've always heard: [mõ-tRa-Se], and [mõ-Ra-Se] just doesn't seem right to me. (NB. I'm using a big "S" in place of the usual IPA symbol for "sh" which doesn't seem to work in Explorer; the big "R" means it is uvular).

Montrachet is just the beginning. Don't forget the "Puligney" prefix. And for the red, an Eschezeaux? Or Chambolle-Musigney?

No wonder people just throw up their hands and ask for the poossy foossy.

I'm on the pavement

Thinking about the government.

Ya heard wrong. It's just a quirk. There's no rule supporting mon'rashay, it's just the way the name is pronounced. Perhaps it's a trick to ferret out spies. :biggrin:

Robert Buxbaum

WorldTable

Recent WorldTable posts include: comments about reporting on Michelin stars in The NY Times, the NJ proposal to ban foie gras, Michael Ruhlman's comments in blogs about the NJ proposal and Bill Buford's New Yorker article on the Food Network.

My mailbox is full. You may contact me via worldtable.com.

Let's not fergit joo-lu-ree.

Fughetaboud joo-lu-ray. Let's tawk about mason-ary as in bricks and mortar.

Robert Buxbaum

WorldTable

Recent WorldTable posts include: comments about reporting on Michelin stars in The NY Times, the NJ proposal to ban foie gras, Michael Ruhlman's comments in blogs about the NJ proposal and Bill Buford's New Yorker article on the Food Network.

My mailbox is full. You may contact me via worldtable.com.

My father is from LA and my mother is from the Boston suburbs.  Each parent pronounces every one of those differently.

Your mother is wrong every time.

(I know because I grew up in Boston).

As long as we're going to make fun of yokels mispronouncing things, can we all take a minute to spell our posts correctly? (It would be nice to have spell check on the new eGullet). How about learning how to form a possessive? Thank you.

I've always wanted to know what type of berry is a lie-berry.

:laugh:

Edited by bloviatrix (log)

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

"People are bastard-coated bastards, with bastard filling." - Dr. Cox on Scrubs

Ya heard wrong. It's just a quirk. There's no rule supporting mon'rashay, it's just the way the name is pronounced. Perhaps it's a trick to ferret out spies. :biggrin:

It's a mute point. :raz:

Sherri A. Jackson

Let's not fergit joo-lu-ree.

Fughetaboud joo-lu-ray. Let's tawk about mason-ary as in bricks and mortar.

Could you be more pacific?

Among my favorite English pronunciation fox passes is

eXcape.

I was recently behind the scenes at a movie shoot but could not see any of the action. The one sure way I could immediately tell whether the shot was "live" was that the rehearsal stand in for the star butchered that word in the first line of the scene *every* time.

While we're at it, next time you order a bottle of Gigondas, be sure and pronounce the final "s". Ditto Vacqueyras. This is how they're pronounced in their place of origin. (Though in Carpentras, just 15 km to the south, they eschew their final "s". Gotta love the French). I'm sick of having snotty waitstaff "correct" my pronunciation.

I have a friend who's a chef at a hotel in DC; for the life of him, he can't get his waitstaff to pronounce "osso bucco" correctly. Thus, the staff are out on the floor selling "OSS-ko BOOSS-ko". :huh:

I stand corrected.

Now that I think about it, is it perhaps the case that "Mont Rachet" was combined over the years into "Montrachet?" That would make perfect sense to me. Kind of like the Italian word "cosi" which should really be pronounced "co-SEE" rather than "co-ZEE" because it is a contraction of "come si."

Of course, the spy ferreting aspect can't be ignored. We used to spot 'em up in New England when they didn't know Dedham = "Dedh'm" while Waltham = "Walth-ham" and Gloucester = "Glost'r" (or "Glost-ah") while Dorcester = "Dore-chest-er" (or "Daw-chest-ah"). One should be mindful of ferret spys as well, as they tend to drag one's things under the bed and hide them.

--

Thoughts on Montrachet.

Another French word with a similar formation that does not pronounce that first t is the name of my hometown, Montreal, when spoken by native French speakers. The "Mon" part is not a possessive--if it were the t would be sounded. It's from "mont" meaning mountain , so we don't make the liason.

Just a l'il pensee. I could be wrong.

edit: See above cross-post of Sam's.

Edited by maggiethecat (log)

Margaret McArthur

"Take it easy, but take it."

Studs Terkel

1912-2008

A sensational tennis blog from freakyfrites

margaretmcarthur.com

I love to hear people order eXpresso. And no amount of correcting will convince my friend to say sangria instead of sangUria.

I went to school in Bourbonnais, IL. The locals pronounced it bur-BONE-iss while the out-of-town students pronounced it bur-buhn-NAY. It was like an ongoing series of turf wars or something.

Houston. In TX, it's hews-ton. In NYC it's house-ton.

Sherri A. Jackson

Nola-

I have pronounced foie gras properly, but I've totally botched most of the other french words. Could someone start listing the correct pronunciation for all the french words listed in this thread. It would be very helpful to us derelicts. Thanks in advance.

Dean McCord

VarmintBites