• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

British Meat Cuts

Sorry to bother you, but I'm working on converting an English cookbook for the American market, and I need some help. (I've already bothered Andy Lynes privately, and he's been quite helpful, but figured I should open up to others. :smile: )

Am I correct in assuming that "collar of pork" would be the part of the shoulder nearest the neck?

Where might "collar of ham" be? That part of the leg nearest the loin?

Is "bacon knuckle" similar to American smoked hocks?

I think these are all the terms with which I need help. May I return if I find more?

Ta very much. :biggrin:

Now I'm not an expert (so just who you want to turn to for authoritative advice) but I can tell you that:

Collar of pork is indeed the neck-end of the shoulder.

Collar of ham is not, I don't think, the top of the leg but rather a brined/preserved collar of pork.

Bacon knuckle is from the opposite leg from the hock (front not back?) and I guess it would be smoked and/or dry-cured.

I think you should wait for corroboration before taking any notice of this, however.

Thank you, endless autumn and Adam Balic (and Basildog via pm): My search is over. With your help, and that of various websites and my class notes, I have my answers.

Collar of pork is indeed the neck-end of the shoulder;

Collar of ham is what we refer to as "picnic ham" or "picnic shoulder;" it is indeed from the front of the animal (not real ham, which only comes from the rear leg);

Bacon knuckle -- or at least knuckle -- is from the front leg; but since I'm not sure if it is widely available here, I will leave it as such with the alternative of using smoked hocks.

Again, thanks. I love you all :wub::wub::wub: and I love eGullet! :biggrin: