• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Pennant Race Eating Spots

TrishCT

I'll be in the greater Boston area for Columbus Day weekend so I can join in the cheering of the Red Sox :wub: .... It's unlikely we'll be able to get tickets to a game at Fenway... (Ahhh...but if any of you have any extras lying around, let me know please!!!)

So where's some good places to munch, imbibe, and watch the game (bringing a 15 year old in tow....)

We'll be staying in Plymouth/Carver area but willing to go up as far as Boston area.

Thanks for any rec's...

Trish

how important is the quality of the food? are you cool with decent pub grub? if so, sunset grill & tap in brighton is good and has extensive food & beer menus to boot. linwood grille in the fenway area has pretty good bbq. not sure if sports depot in allston is still around---lots of TVs, so-so food. boston beer works is right near fenway and has better than average pub food. cornwall's in kenmore square may be worth checking out--i haven't been there since they moved across comm ave. a few years ago, and in their previous location there was no TV, but their new space is bigger and they may now have some. like sunset, cornwall's also has an impressive beer menu. those are off the top of my head, if i think of any other places, i will let you know. have a great time!!!

The food doesn't have to be sensational, just decent enough...I have been out of the scene so long that I don't know what's what anymore in Boston. (Or Massachusetts for that matter.)

Thanks for the rec's :smile: ....If you think of anything along the south shore also, let me know!

Trish

Let's Go Yankees!

If you want to really feel the electricity, there are many great options around that outhouse of a ballpark called Fenway before and after game time. For pretty decent pub food, there's Boston Beer Works right across from Fenway. If you'll be there Sunday, you can join me and the 25 other Yankee fans bussing up for the game. That's our usual hangout during our annual visit to Boston for when the Yankees are in town. I'm pretty certain they spit on our food.

LET'S GO YANKEES!

A quick consideration from a Bostonian (oh, the pain...)...

Because of the rioting after game 5 last week, there is a parking ban on *all* the streets around Fenway Park, starting four hours before game time.

They're serious, they'r towing every gameday--BOTH HOME AND AWAY..This includes the streets in front of Boston Beer Works, the park, and probably Linwood Grille will be pretty impossible (parkingwise, I mean), due tothe overflow..

So, if you're gonnah soak up some of that Fenway flay-vah, make plans to T in..Cowboy up!

BTW, the Sports Depot is gone...

Edited by galleygirl (log)

Beacause of the rioting after game 5 last week, there is a parking ban on *all* the streets around Fenway Park, starting four hours before game time.

They're serious, they'r towing every gameday..This includes the streets in front of Boston Beer Works, the park, and probably Linwood Grille will be pretty impossible (parkingwise, I mean), due tothe overflow..

So, if you're gonnah soak up some of that Fenway flay-vah, make plans to T in..

BTW, the Sports Depot is gone

Boston fans rioting??? Sheesh, must be some bad New York influence blowing in the air...

I guess I'll stick to south shore joints....Definitely gonna hit up Cape Cod Cafe in Brockton.... excellent linguica pizza...

By the way, "Reggie," I'll take historic Fenway over the portapottie traffic and mugging nightmare you call Yankee Stadium anyday...I thought George was gonna move it to Jersey. :raz:

Oh Man, front page article in the local paper today... Sox fans are visiting Babe Ruth's grave praying for him to remove the curse... :blink:

Boston fans rioting???  Sheesh, must be some bad New York influence blowing in the air...

Excuse me??!?!?! The Yankees have won 4 World titles, 5 pennants, and EVERY division title since 1996. Never ONCE, not a single time, was there any rioting in our streets.

If anything, Boston's own history of rioting over bussing has more of an influence than anything from NY.

Beacause of the rioting after game 5 last week, there is a parking ban on *all* the streets around Fenway Park, starting four hours before game time.

They're serious, they'r towing every gameday..This includes the streets in front of Boston Beer Works, the park, and probably Linwood Grille will be pretty impossible (parkingwise, I mean), due tothe overflow..

So, if you're gonnah soak up some of that Fenway flay-vah, make plans to T in..

BTW, the Sports Depot is gone

Boston fans rioting??? Sheesh, must be some bad New York influence blowing in the air...

not ny - sounds more like dee-troit on halloween.

growing up on eastern long island with soooo many cousins in leominster, melrose, malden i am a sox fan through and through(we live in hope and die in despair). living in northern nj is a pain - especially when dissed by yankee fans(well, i guess if you can BUY the best...)

don't know what is available near fenway but will be going down to the local bar that has a sign outside that says "beat the beans out of boston" with my red sox hat tomorrow to harass any and all i can....

cubs vs sox in the series - as martha would say(before being indited) - it's a beautiful thing

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

Geez, I'm getting old but I seem to remember after a game that they lost, that the Yankees fans tore up the field so badly it was barely playable for the next game... :cool:

Sox v. Cubs.... would be the Win Win Series! :smile:

Whoever wins is thrilled because at LAST they've won... and whoever loses, who cares, they are used to losing... its just good to be invited to the show.... :raz:

Edited by TrishCT (log)

Congrat's Reggie.

sad: :sad::sad:

gee Trish, thanks!

that's probably the most gracious comment i've heard from a Sox fan so far, or will hear.

if it makes you feel better, my friends and i missed the game we were scheduled to attend. we had tickets to the sunday game which was rained out and rescheduled for tues. a lot of us, myself included, weren't able to make the tues. game. so if you want to experience a bit of shaddenfreunde, that might make you laugh.

Congrat's Reggie. 

sad:  :sad:  :sad:

gee Trish, thanks!

that's probably the most gracious comment i've heard from a Sox fan so far, or will hear.

if it makes you feel better, my friends and i missed the game we were scheduled to attend. we had tickets to the sunday game which was rained out and rescheduled for tues. a lot of us, myself included, weren't able to make the tues. game. so if you want to experience a bit of shaddenfreunde, that might make you laugh.

It's just a game....

If I say it 5,216 more times..... I just might believe it...

Good luck v. the fish....

Trish :sad:

It actually is just a game, though.

Bruce

If it were just a game, why did my red sox fan friend, who didn't cry at his father's funeral, start weeping with the Boone homerun??

I can't empathize with this kind of losing. Sure the Yankees have lost TWO world series game 7's on the last at bat, but neither of them seem to be as painful as any of Boston's losses.

It actually is just a game, though.

Bruce

If it were just a game, why did my red sox fan friend, who didn't cry at his father's funeral, start weeping with the Boone homerun??

I can't empathize with this kind of losing. Sure the Yankees have lost TWO world series game 7's on the last at bat, but neither of them seem to be as painful as any of Boston's losses.

I wouldn't say I "wept" per se... but there were a few tears and much sadness...

My husband asked me what was for dinner tonight...

I said we're eating humble pie with a nice whine...my usual post season dish...

So many times, something Buckneresque happens to shatter our dreams... :sad:

My husband asked me what was for dinner tonight...

I said we're eating humble pie with a nice whine...my usual post season dish...

Try being a Cubs fan. Being in Hawaii, the closest thing we could get was one of those Chicago Hot Dogs at Home Depot. It was decent enough--it wasn't Gold Coast Dogs or even SRO--but it was decent.

Poor Cubbies.

-Little Blue

----------------------------------------------

Emily in London

http://www.august18th2007.com

Can't you see the irony of your message?!?!?!?  you LIVE in hawaii.

Yeah, well, you have a point there. Wonderful weather, all of the time. Still, I lived in Chicago for five years, and it's a hard city to get over.

-Emily

----------------------------------------------

Emily in London

http://www.august18th2007.com