• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

What a hard day's work

ctgm

today I had to go to a tasting (actually 2 but I can easily forget the 1st). It was one of the most enjoyable tastings that I have been to in 5 years (when I did a similar Madeira tasting). The only downside was that you could start to become over critical on the wines when if you had them by themselves they would have bowled you over..

1950 Tinta Negra Molle, Torre Bella Estate

1817 "Juno", Goelet Family

1895 Verdelho, Arajuo de Barros

1934 Bual, Cossart

1920 Bual, Blandy

1837 Bual, Special Reserve Acciaioly

1820 Bual, Very Old, J&B labelled

1912 Malmsey, Blandy

1907 Malvazia, Reserva P. d'Oliveira

1830 Malmsey, Quinta do Serrado

1870 Terrantes, Reserva FRG

c. 1760 Terrantez, Borges Family

I was utterly amazed by the acidity that the oldest of these wines still retained. Phenomenal. Also the 1950 and 1934 were still to reach full maturity! One of those present who knows a lot more than me said that the 1934 Bual would probably be at its best in about 50 years!!!

Wow. Can I come along next time?

I've noticed the same phenomenon, actually. When you taste great wine after great wine, your scale temporally out of whack, and you start saying critical things about a wine that's probably better than anything else being drunk elsewhere on the planet.

Bruce

1950 Tinta Negra Molle, Torre Bella Estate

1817 "Juno", Goelet Family

1895 Verdelho, Arajuo de Barros

1934 Bual, Cossart

1920 Bual, Blandy

1837 Bual, Special Reserve Acciaioly

1820 Bual, Very Old, J&B labelled

1912 Malmsey, Blandy

1907 Malvazia, Reserva P. d'Oliveira

1830 Malmsey, Quinta do Serrado

1870 Terrantes, Reserva FRG

c. 1760 Terrantez, Borges Family

I think I'd be ready to die after a tasting like that.

Born Free, Now Expensive