• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

When is a cigare not a cigar?

hollywood

Craig Camp recently said on this site: The problem with all those California wines you see in those wine stores is that they are all basically the same wine with different labels. It does not matter which brand you buy they will all taste about the same (so just buy the one on sale). California is suffering from technical political correctness in its wine making.

Other than your wines, do you recommend any California wines for everday drinking?

Other than screw tops (!), have you got anything new in the works you would care to share? Any unidentified fermented objects (UFOs)?

Cheers!

I'm hollywood and I approve this message.

Dear Hollywood,

I'm afraid that I agree rather completely w/ Craig, that California wines at least the ones on the lower end do tend to enjoy a rather dreary sameness. For one, winemakers are often timid about making a bold stylistic statement, especially one that is at odds with the current acceptable (i.e. Winespec and RP approved) winemaking paradigm. Alas, I don't really have the opportunity to try a lot of California wines so I'm afraid I can't really help you there. I have had good luck w/ the Saintsbury Pinot Noirs over the last few years but I'm not sure they would qualify as everyday drinking wines. I think that one is actually far better off finding a great southern red from the Midi from Kermit Lynch or some of the other fastidious importers. (I'm really liking Neal Rosenthal's selections a lot these days.) RG.