• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Burger Club

elyse

The Luxemburger is $14.00, add $1.00 for cheese or bacon.

--mh

elyse won't like that. :rolleyes:

:laugh:

tommy, you know me too well.

I will say this though, anyone who wants to subsidize my part in the less than affordable venues, may. :blink:

As of 8:45, attendees are:

Pnapoli + Mr. P

Mikeyrad

Mhesse

SuzanneF

Fork&Pen

JosephB

alacarte

Sherri VP of Monkeywrenching + 1

picaman + 1

slkinsey possibly

jhlurie if he can get a ride?

Varmint + 75 in spirit

tommy's in (which means he's not coming)

elyse, yours truly.

People still welcome, but I am calling with this semi final count now.

Thank you, and goodnight.

I'm so psyched!

Edited by elyse (log)

Okay, Saturday the 11th at Molly's Pub - 287 3rd ave. @ 24th, 212-889-3361.  Shall we say 1:00?

Just a reminder.

Woah. I got this on the top of the dozenth page. Cool.

Edited by elyse (log)

Are we doing this to console ourselves for not being able to go to Varmint's pig pickin'? :unsure::hmmm: Naw, this is a quest!

Ahem...that's why I'm ordering bacon :wub: on the side. To celebrate the Pig Pickin' in spirit! Or at least that's tomorrow's (whoops, today's(!)) excuse. :rolleyes:

I'll bring the camera.

And nametags if I can remember to get some.

Edited by sherribabee (log)
Sherri A. Jackson

I guess I'm the first to report...

It was a great time, with many interesting eGulleters in attendance. SuzanneF was thoughtful enough to provide pencils for all, and also brought along instant-read thermometers and a sensitive electronic scale. The only negative things to say about the venue is that it is extremely dark. We were joined midway through our meal by 30 or so drunken people doing a "pub crawl for cancer" which made conversation a little difficult. The service was prompt, expert and congenial.

I thought the burgers were very good. They're broiled under a salamander, which gives them a very nice crust. The main negative for me -- and it really took the quality of the burger down a whole rating -- is that the beef did not appear to have any seasoning whatsoever. Everyone seemed to agree that the burgers needed salt badly. Many of us also found that the beef near the edges of the burger was cooked significnatly more than the beef in the middle. Mine was medium rare (as ordered) around the outer few inches but mushy and rare in the middle. Interestingly, SuzanneF's burger, ordered rare, was exactly the same as mine. Otherwise, the size, texture, greasiness and beefyness were excellent. The buns were acceptable standard burger buns of an appropriate size -- not quite as good as some of the denser brioche-type buns that can absorb more grease, etc. without getting soggy. It was perhaps a bit more than I would want to eat for lunch on a work day, but no one was holding a gun to my head forcing me to finish it. The prices are very reasonable.

Excellent onion rings. Batter dipped and clearly cooked a la minute.

Our definitive rating will be forthcoming once the scores have been tabulated, no doubt.

--

"pub crawl for cancer"

To be clear, the group was against cancer.

the beef near the edges of the burger was cooked significnatly more than the beef in the middle

There's probably another way to describe this objection, because of course any medium-rare broiled piece of meat will be cooked significantly more at its edges than in the center. The issue here, I think, was that the exterior 1/8-1/4" of meat was totally overdone and dried out even though the center was rare.

Overall, although I didn't hear everyone's opinion, I don't think anybody there was of the opinion that this was a great burger. Opinions seemed to range from good to very good. Of course there hasn't really been a range established yet, but among this group of experienced burger-eaters I didn't detect anybody who was fanatically supportive of this specimen.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

To avoid feeling like a stalker - we happened to be at Molly's today around 2:30pm and saw your group (and the crawlers for liver cancer) there. This was our first meal there in well over a year and it will probably lead to continued preference of the smaller, fattier, tastier burger at the waterfront ale house.

M

the crawlers for liver cancer

Breast cancer, specifically.

Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

i move that the word "specimen" be stricken from the vernacular of the BC.

Specimen specimen specimen specimen specimen specimen specimen specimen specimen specimen specimen specimen specimen specimen specimen specimen specimen specimen specimen specimen specimen specimen specimen specimen specimen specimen specimen specimen specimen specimen specimen specimen specimen specimen specimen specimen specimen specimen specimen specimen specimen specimen specimen specimen specimen specimen specimen specimen specimen specimen specimen specimen specimen specimen specimen specimen specimen specimen specimen specimen specimen specimen specimen specimen specimen specimen specimen specimen.

the crawlers for liver cancer

Breast cancer, specifically.

Right... that's why they kept on offering free breast palpations to all the girls. Checking for lumps, you know... :wink:

--