• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Burger Club

elyse

Quick recount, since I'm getting ready to make the rezzy at Blue Smoke for Saturday, 1/3/04, at 1:00pm:

elyse

SuzanneF + HWOE

alacarte

Blondie

johnjohn

laurelmilan

Picaman

MHesse

and, we hope, Dave the Cook and some or all of his crew.

as of 12/16, 2:24pm.

If I left you off, I apologize. Please post on the thread.

I'm in.

Sherri A. Jackson

elyse

SuzanneF + HWOE

alacarte

Blondie

johnjohn

laurelmilan

Picaman

MHesse

forkAndPen

sherribabee

SobaAddict70

as of 12/27, 10:14pm

Have not made the reservation yet, but I will maybe tomorrow, for, what, 16? That gives us a little wiggle room (which we could have used in a few of the places we already hit). (If anyone will need to cancel, there will still be time. But I hope no one will.)

'K?

By the time I develop symptoms, I won't know whether it's natural, mad cow, or other remnants of my shady past. I say damn the torpedos, full steam ahead.

Indeed.

:laugh:

Jamie

See! Antony, that revels long o' nights,

Is notwithstanding up.

Julius Caesar, Act II, Scene ii

biowebsite

I'm really busy this week working on deadline, but can someone call Blue Smoke and ask them about their beef supply? I'd bet they grind the meat themselves. So the only question really is where/who do they get their beef from, and is the source one that does not feed the cattle illegal feed containing animal parts.

(I have feeling that BS would use safe meat, but if anyone is really concerned, ask them.)

In case anyone does want to call and see where their beef comes from, you may want to read this.

Wendy's, Taco Bell, and other food suppliers prohibit the use of "downer cattle" in their burgers. Downer refers to older, falling over, or possibly diseased cattle. They also prohibit meat produced with AMRS, known as Advanced Meat Recovery Systems . AMRS scrapes cattle bones to produce more recoverable tissue (meat) and has a much high probability of including nerve tissue endings in the finished meat / burger product.

McDonald's, and several of the major institutional producers (ConAgra, Montfort, for example) appear to allow AMRS sourced meat in their burger stream. They haven't said they don't permit it, as Wendy's has done.

Hope this helps.

Suzanne, have you called with the reservation?

Not yet. I'm waiting a little longer to see the reactions. But when I do, I'll probably make it via OpenTable, which is easy to modify (and I can include a message about our "special needs" :wacko: )

I was wondering specifically about those of us doing the BC thang. I mean should we make our decisions of destination based on freshly chopped meat or anything? Avoid certain places entirely? Damn the torpedos?

I think we are something like a million times more likely to either choke to death on a burger or succomb to pathogenic E.coli then get BSE.

elyse +1

SuzanneF + HWOE

alacarte

Blondie

johnjohn

laurelmilan

Picaman

MHesse

forkAndPen

sherribabee

SobaAddict70

Lurker

JosephB

Mr. Cutlets

as of 12/30, 1:45pm

That's 16 who at one time or another said K. Plus an unknown number of DtC maybes.