• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Carpaccio of fennel

tony h

What’s the best to achieve this?  Is the slicing best done raw; is the fennel cooked before or afterwards; is best eaten raw.  I don’t use fennel often so any ideas appreciated.

I normally use a Japanese mandoline (Benriner) to slice the raw fennel.

One way I like to serve it (still raw) is with blood orange sliced as thinly as I can (must be done by hand with knife), parmigiano reggiano also sliced very finely, a drizzle of the best olive oil you can lay your hands on, a very light sprinkling of freshly cracked black peppercorn. Do nothing else to it, except that you can snip a bit of the fennel fronds over it for garnish, but go light with that (for texture reasons). The orange should "bleed" just enough that you will get a little liquid flavor and color onto the plate without any additional dressing or garnish.

This is one of my favorite starter salads.

Of course, you could riff on this a thousand ways. Please let us me know if you do anything new with this that works well.

Jim

Jim Jones

London, England

Never teach a pig to sing. It only wastes your time and frustrates the pig.

There are numerous recipies for cooked fennel (often braised) but I've never liked any of them as much eating fennel raw. Here's how I do it: After trimming the top and bottom of the bulb, halve it pole to pole then cut out the triangular center part. Slice crosswise very thin, on an angle. (I use a knife, but a mandoline would be fine, too.)

Like Jim, I also have enjoyed it with shaved parm-reg and citrus. Unfortunately we can find blood oranges here (Michigan) only once a year, and at exorbitant prices (which doesn't stop me, but does make me wish I lived in California). I've combined it with grapefruit, avocado, and a light citrus vinaigrette, with great success. I also make a salad with fennel, cucumber crescents, and Vidalias -- three kinds of crunch playing off each other.

And, as Jim said, there are all kinds of combos. I'd love to hear some ideas.

Edited for typo :wacko:

Edited by Alex (log)

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

I love fennel raw and roasted.

I often mandoline the fennel, toss with EVOO an much salt and pepper, splash of wine, top with crushed bits of chevre and fennel seed and coarse bread crumbs or coutons , roast at 450.

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

I also mostly eat fennel raw as it's texture is one of it's inherit attractions.

Ofcourse used in boulibasse and the like are important.

I love it shaved thin with some procuitto de Parma,great olives,broccoli rabe with pepper flakes garlic and evoo,artichokes and parm with a few slices of crostini.

Turnip Greens are Better than Nothing. Ask the people who have tried both.

Agreed. I refer to it as "shaved" as it's paper-thin coming off the mandoline.

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

I love fennel raw and roasted.

I often mandoline the fennel, toss with EVOO an much salt and pepper, splash of wine, top with crushed bits of chevre and fennel seed and coarse bread crumbs or coutons , roast at 450.

It's 4 am in the morning and this is what I want to eat!

“C’est dans les vieux pots, qu’on fait la bonne soupe!”, or ‘it is in old pots that good soup is made’.