• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

1st time in SF - cheap local suggestions -

edpauker

We ran into scheduling problems - meaning I was too damn busy and too damn tired to do much. So we ended up doing a Jollibee breakfast (god help us to never do that again!), Saigon Sandwich which I would do again for super cheap, House of Nanking in Chinatown (good, not great, but good) and a really great Thai place in North Beach (correct me if I'm wrong) called Lemongrass. We really enjoyed Lemongrass and "discovered" a rice pudding joint next door. That was a hit for us because there was a huge line waiting to order and they ran out of ganache. The owner was gone and so the workers didn't know how to make more. I stepped in and due to their lack of cream, whipped up a damn tasty water based ganache which made most of the line very happy. That was fun :)

The owner was gone and so the workers didn't know how to make more.  I stepped in and due to their lack of cream, whipped up a damn tasty water based ganache which made most of the line very happy.  That was fun :)

Rock-n-Roll, Baby!

I hope you left your contact information so the owner can thank you appropriately!