• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

TDG: Wine Camp: Bore Doe Bargains

Fat Guy

He's amazing, that Craig Camp -- he knows about French stuff too.

+++

Be sure to check The Daily Gullet home page daily for new articles (most every weekday), hot topics, site announcements, and more.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

"These wines dance on your palate rather than attempt to conquer it"

Chapeau Craig !

I will add the complexity dimension. Good value Bordeaux wines are simply more complex than new world wines. The provide an extra dimension during their consumption [ this could be skipped while tasting ].

My list of good value Bordeaux:

Chateau Fonneuve, Premier cote de Bordeaux. 10 $

Chateau Dupin, Bordeaux Superior. 9 $

Chateau Bonnet, Entre deux Mere, white. 10-12 $

Chateau Brown Lamartine. 20 $

Medoc, Maison Sichel. 20$

Saint Emilion, Maison Sichel. 20 $

Chateau Cheval D’Or 10 $

Chateau de Gaillat [ Grave ] 20 $

Chateau de Grand Moueys 10 $ [ their oak aged is less interesting ]

Domaine L’ile Margeaux 20 $

Chateau Jean Guilaut [ 12 $ ]

Chateau Terre Rouge [ 20 $ ]

Chateau Tour de Segur [ 20 $ ]

Chateau Taulliac [ 12 $ ]

Chateau Lamote [ 12 $ ]

Chateau Methee [ 12 $ ]

Chateau Planer Cuvee prestige [ 12 $ ]

Chateau Romfort [ 15 $ ]

Andre Suidan

I was taught to finish what I order.

Life taught me to order what I enjoy.

The art of living taught me to take my time and enjoy.

I don't have many "value" Bordeaux in my cellar. For the most part, a more economical purchase may be an Italian, Australian, Rhone, etc.

I like Ch. Greysac because I’ve never had a bad bottle. Nothing spectacular but always consistent and surprisingly, never corked. Ch Haut Simard is another one I like. I guess the chateau will age a wine for up to 8-10 years so it’s ready to drink from the get go.

I have a case of the 98 Haut-Corbin St.Emilion which is drinking quite well. Chateau Carsin is usually found on every end cap for 9.99 a bottle but I would take it over what I’m being served at most dinner parties these days. Clos Magne Figeac is good, Thebot & Thieuley come to mind if I don’t see anything in particular and I don’t want to leave the wine empty handed.

Edit: grammar

Edited by GordonCooks (log)

I have come across a few but many seem to have escaped my mind:

Prices are rough USD converted from UK and including UK taxes

Ch. Rocher Cap de Merle (Bordeaux Superieur) ($9.50)

Ch. Lestagne (Medoc) ($9.50)

Ch. Bonnet (Bordeaux) ($10)

Ch. Rocher Corbin (Montagne St. Emilion) ($14.50)

Ch. Baron de Milon (Pauillac) ($19) made at Duhart Milon

Ch. d'Archembeau (Graves) ($12)

Ch. Villa Bel Air (Graves) ($9)

These are but a few. Of them I think the wines that most pleased me were the Rocher Cap de Merle and Rocher Corbin (which are made at the same property). Previously I had always presumed that Montagne St. Emilion made quite bad wines but boy were my eyes opened by these two. I bought some for the business and they were generally well received. Unfortunately in recent vintages the price has been increased too much!

Edited by ctgm (log)

Here at the shop in Chi town, we sell a boatload of

Chateau Girundia ( 8 bucks) and

Roc Du Belair (about 12 bucks). But now the Roc du Belair is going to be affected by the ezxchange rate so the search for cheapies continues.....

To be honest, one of the best values on the market IMO for 2000 is not a petit chateau but Blasson D'Issan, second label of Chateau D"Issan in Margaux. If your store bought futures it could be as low as 25 bucks. We have it for 33 becasue we have been only been open a year. Anyway, the thing is like tannic blueberry pie with the texture of silk. Gorgeous. Really margauxy too. the bottle comes with the added hilarity of new bordeaux drinkers thinking there is only one wine from margaux (Chateau M) and thinking they are getting the bargain of the century because they have read about how expensive the first growths were in 2000. Sometimes we let them think that too.

"Is this Margaux really this cheap?"

"Yes, that is our regular mark-up."

"I'll take 3"

"Ok"

Edited by Carema (log)

over it

. Ch Haut Simard is another one I like. I guess the chateau will age a wine for up to 8-10 years so it’s ready to drink from the get go.

Do you mean Ch. Simard? He does late releases (1990 is current vintage). I wasn't fond of '88 or '89, but heard good things re the 1990, but haven't tried yet.

If people are buying to drink now, I'd mostly look at 1999s. Not a great vintage, but there are some nice drinking wines, plenty on shelves, and some good discounts. Ste. Colombe ($10), Cap de Faugeres ($9), du Tertre ($17), Dauzac ($19), La Fleur du Bouard ($18) all offer good value.

As to the 2000s,

Some tasty under $20 Bordeaux to drink now:

2000 Epicurea de Chateau Martinat (Cotes de Bourg)($20)

2000 Ch. Bonnet (Bordeaux). ($8.99)

(the 2001 Bonnet white isn't bad either)

Tasty now, but could use some time:

2000 Ste. Colombe (CdCastillon)$12

2000 Ch. Les Trois Croix (Fronsac)$14

2000 Ch. Lanessan (Haut-Medoc)$16

2000 Ch. Brown (Pessac-Leognan)$17

2000 Ch. Haut-Chaigneau(Lalande de Pomerol)$17

2000 de Carles (Fronsac) $10

2000 Reignac (NOT Ch. Reignac, but their premium label) (Bdx. Sup.)(kinds California-ish, but good)$20

2000 Tronquoy-Lalande (St. Estephe)$16

2000 La Dame de Montrose (St. Estephe)$18

Need much time:

2000 La Fleur de Boüard (Lalande de Pomerol)$20

2000 Chateau la Louvière rouge (Pessac-Leognan)$20

2000 Ch. de Pez (St. Estephe)$20

2000 Marquis-de-Terme(Margaux)$22

Some of these might be hard to find under$20 now, but there are lots of good Bdx out there that don't cost an arm and a leg. Some good 1998 Right Banks too, but many of those asleep. And some bargains as people get rid of 1997s, but know what you're buying-highly variable. HTH.

Some consistent favorites of mine in un-classifed Bordeaux:

Chateau Poujeaux

Charmes de Poujeaux (2nd label)

Roc de Cambes (same owner as Tertre Roteboeuf)

Chateau Haut Mondesir

I am also a big fan of second labels for taste and value:

Pavie Decesse

Petit Mouton Rothschild

Petit Cheval

Clos du Marquis

Reserve de la Comtesse.

Sarget de Gruaud Larose

Mark

Do you mean Ch. Simard? He does late releases (1990 is current vintage). I wasn't fond of '88 or '89, but heard good things re the 1990, but haven't tried yet.

No, it's Haut-Simard - it was a purchase via an L.C.B.O in Canada at a bargain price for an 89 St. Emilion. Took the last 3 bottles out of a discount bin. The person knew nothing about the wine and said it was most likely a promo/review item. I thought I hads found some at a wine store while traveling but the 89 Simard I was shown had quite a different label. I'm pretty sure I have a bottle kicking around somewhere. Maybe I have the late release issue incorrect, I can't recall if the saleperson was referring to the Simard or the Haut Simard :huh:

Edited by GordonCooks (log)

My favorite of the petite chateau is Puy-Blanquet . I first had it with the 1985 vintage. Last night I had a 375ml bottle of the '95 with beefalo burgers with sauteed mushrooms and stilton and sauteed spinach with fresh tomatos and garlic. It proved to be an excellent combination.

The retail price tends to run from $15-25 750ml depending on the vintage. I bought it in NE New York.

Edited by docsconz (log)

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz