• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Local Asian Pears

gabe

At the Clark Park farmers' market yesterday, North Star Farms growers were there with fresh Asian pears for $1.70/lb. They are simply amazing -- wonderfully light and crisp, sweet, and melt-in-your-mouth juicy. My partner and I got about 2-1/2 pounds thinking they'd last a week. Not a chance -- there are only two pears left today, they are so addictive. I don't know whether they will be selling them Saturday at Clark or at one of the other markets, but they will definitely be back at Clark next Thursday.

Thanks for lettting us know the pears are back. I think that on Saturdays she's at the South St market (around 2nd).

Food is a convenient way for ordinary people to experience extraordinary pleasure, to live it up a bit.

-- William Grimes

I have it on good information from the Food Trust that the Asian Pears will be available:

Wed-- South St West (next to Jamaican Jerk Hut) at 1436 South, 3-7 p.m.

Thurs-- Clark Park, 3-7 p.m.

Sat-- 2nd and South, 10 a.m.-2 p.m. (as Sara mentioned)

I have it on good information from the Food Trust that the Asian Pears will be available:

Wed-- South St West (next to Jamaican Jerk Hut) at 1436 South, 3-7 p.m.

Thurs-- Clark Park, 3-7 p.m.

Sat-- 2nd and South, 10 a.m.-2 p.m. (as Sara mentioned)

They are also at 33rd and spruce thursdays 12:00 to 3:00. Try the jersey queen peaches. Don't forget to ask for a napkin to wipe the juices off of your chin.

I have been waiting since I ate my last one before Thanksgiving last year for these to come back!!! YAY!!! These are without a doubt the most delicious fruits I've ever tasted. I am convinced that these are the fruit from the Garden of Eden, because nothing else would be worthy of getting kicked out of Paradise for :rolleyes:

Try their Asian Pear cider too! Ohmigosh! It's sooooo good. I made some pretty kickin' Margaritas with it last fall too! :cool:

Thanks for the heads up. I shall be at the Farmer's Market at 2nd & South early to make sure I get my share tomorrow.

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

You have to try their peaches, if they have any left in the season. Considering how much rain there has been this year, they are remarkable. I have been eating North Star pears since tehy came to the 17th/South market back in '97, and nothing compares! We're trying to talk her into setting some aside for the restaurant so we can introduce more people to her goodies.

owner, Rx

You have to try their peaches, if they have any left in the season. Considering how much rain there has been this year, they are remarkable. I have been eating North Star pears since tehy came to the 17th/South market back in '97, and nothing compares! We're trying to talk her into setting some aside for the restaurant so we can introduce more people to her goodies.

Greg:

I'm doing the same thing at Striped Bass. I gave the Exec. Chef one of the peaches last week and he thought it was awesome. Unfortunately he'll be leaving soon, but I plan on bringing some peaches and Asian pears from North Star to the new Exec. Chef and the Pastry chef. The mind reels with possibilities of amazing desserts or sauces that could be made from North Star Farms produce.

Katie M. Loeb

Cheers!

I used to think that asian pears kinda sucked, because you'd get them in the supermarket wrapped in those little styrofoam nets, and they'd have this very faint flavor but were mainly just like eating a big nothing. And then I had asian pears from north star and I SAW THE LIGHT! LET US ALL GIVE THANKS FOR THE ASIAN PEAR PEOPLE OF NORTH STAR FARMS!

man oh man I can't wait till Wednesday.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey, Katie, don't know how far your chef got w/North Star, but I just received an email telling me that between Isabel and this week's storm, their produce was severely depleted. Hence, they are not wholesaling for a while so that they can take care of their retail customers. You gotta appreciate that.

owner, Rx

Hey, Katie, don't know how far your chef got w/North Star, but I just received an email telling me that between Isabel and this week's storm, their produce was severely depleted. Hence, they are not wholesaling for a while so that they can take care of their retail customers. You gotta appreciate that.

Thanks Greg. Actually, I haven't gotten anywhere with that yet, so I'll just postpone for now. It's good of them to think of their retail customers that way. Sucks about the storm, doesn't it? I have a few of their Asian pears about five feet away in the fridge in my office as I'm typing. Think I'll have one as soon as I finish this post! :biggrin:

I have convinced the Chef to start ordering the Bobolink Dairy cheeses we were fortunate enough to try last Sunday. They will be the featured item on our cheese plates as soon as we can set up an account and start shipping. YAY! I love it when there's a win-win situation! :smile:

Katie M. Loeb

Cheers!

OK, I'll admit my ignorance: what is Bobolink Farm? It sounds familiar, but not to the point that I would know where to try the goods. Where can I try the cheese? Is it local?

Here is Bobolink's home page: http://www.cowsoutside.com/

From the page: "Friends: we've moved our family to a farm, on the border of New York and New Jersey, to establish herds of grass-fed cows and sheep, and make cheese from the milk. "

Greg:

A small contingent of intrepid Philadelphia eGulleteers drove up to Bobolink Dairy last Sunday to join the NJ and NY area EGulleteers for a BBQ and Potluck. Lots of fun, nice folks, glorious weather and LOTS of amazing food prepared with love and care by the attendees. An awesome day all around.

Do a search on eGullet for "Bobolink" and you'll see several threads about the farm, Ellen Shapiro's lovely photo essay and the BBQ last weekend. The cheeses are incredible. REAL cheese like you''d have in Europe. Definitely something you should check out.

Katie M. Loeb

Cheers!