• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

City Hall

jaybee

In wine bars in Europe, they often use glasses that have 150ml (roughly 5 ounces or 1/5 of a 750ml bottle) marked off by an etched or stamped level marking right on the glass. I suppose this averts any potential problem with the consistency of pours, though it does seem a little tacky. Without such a marking or another objective measure, however, you're always going to see a range of pours no matter how thoroughly you drill your waitstaff. I doubt a restaurant of City Hall's caliber is aiming for a 5 ounce pour. Most restaurants in that range aim for a 6 ounce pour and know that they'll also have to pour the occasional 1 ounce taste. But how often do they really hit exactly 6 ounces? Probably not very. A restaurateur is lucky to be able to get the staff to the point where the range of 5-7 ounces is reliably achieved.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

• 1 year later...

We were a large group and were beautifully accommodated. Dinner was good, wine list good unfortunately my husband and I shared a seafood appetizer and the clams did us in. Can't say it was the restaurant's fault but we won't be going back.

We went there because it is close to my husband's office. How did you pick this place?

We were a large group and were beautifully accommodated.  Dinner was good, wine list good unfortunately my husband and I shared a seafood appetizer and the clams did us in.  Can't say it was the restaurant's fault but we won't be going back.

We went there because it is close to my husband's office.  How did you pick this place?

Going because it is a favorite of a friend that worked nearby at one time.

I have always had pretty good meals there (it's in my neighborhood). Whole grilled fish are always excellent, and steaks are good. Burgers, too, if you like really BIG burgers -- although I'm not sure they do them at dinner. I usually stick to simple stuff there, just because they do that well and I've never felt the need to go for more complicated dishes.

I don't know where you will exit from the Holland Tunnel, but it's somewhat more than 5 blocks: it's on Duane Street between Church and West Broadway. And don't be surprised if there are people picketing outside, because the folks who live upstairs in the building are upset that Henry Meer is trying to force them out of their homes. (Let me know if you want more of the history of the space; I've been going to restaurants there for about 15 to 20 years, even before it was City Hall.)

I have a dinner there on something like November 1, so will report back then. In the past, I've had very good meals at City Hall. The burger, available only at lunchtime unless you make special arrangements, is one of the very best in town in my opinion -- they even make their own buns. Steaks are dry aged on premises and the meat is of top-notch quality, with the only problem being that the cuts are too thin -- this is something you can try to negotiate, though. I think the pan roasts are better than at the Grand Central Oyster Bar, and the menu is full of other small treasures. Love the space. Didn't know Henry Meer was embroiled in a controversy but must confess he's pretty cute.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

Yeah, Henry IS cute, but I'd rather just have his burgers and buns.

Do you know if they do all their own breads in-house? I always thought they got them from some place like Orwashers. Their standard bread basket has some real NY classics, like salt sticks and onion pockets. I could live on that bread basket all by itself.