• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Danube

gmi3804

Try calling sister restuarant Bouley Bakery at 212.964.2525 -- you may be able to get some info that way. There was a note about Danube in the Times in September but I must confess I don't remember what it said and the article is no longer available online for free. Does anybody have it, or at least remember it?

A lot of the TriBeCa places are making decisions day-to-day, so even if you make a reservation be sure to confirm it several times including on the day of. Likewise, if you don't have a reservation, try for a last minute table when the actual date rolls around. There may be something available, though, thankfully, bookings seem to be trending upwards again.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

Calling  bouley or the bakery is a good suggestion. Does the annoying and obxnoxious ad on WNYC have the phone number in it?

Danube was listed as one of the places with missing phone service, and had switched to a 917 (cell) number for the duration.

Apparently it's easier still to dictate the conversation and in effect, kill the conversation.

rancho gordo

You may also be able to get an e-mail response. I'll inquire of Danube's publicist, but also here's the address for the restaurant: danube@bouley.net

Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

• 2 weeks later...

Danube is indeed open.  I ate there on October 5th (I think it re-opened on the 3rd) and had an excellent meal.  At that time Bouley Bakery's kitchen was still being used to support the Red Cross food effort, and I had a drink with a few kind volunteers who were unwinding in the Danube bar following a 12 hour shift in the kitchen.  I suspect Bouley Bakery may now be open to the public again.   If their land line is still out, try calling the following cell # (917) 929-9950.  That's how I made reservations a few weeks ago.

Good luck.  The excellent food only tastes better when you realize you are supporting David Bouley's generous efforts to help support the rescue workers.

(Edited by Felonius at 10:22 pm on Oct. 16, 2001)

Felonious, I'd love to hear more about your meal at Danube. I didn't love it when I went shortly after it opened. I just didn't buy into the whole concept. It felt to me as though the food had been trucked over from Bouley Bakery and sprinkled with paprika and caraway seeds to give it the appearance of Austro-Hungarian-ness. Has it changed substantially in the past couple of years?

Thanks very much for reporting that. Interesting, I didn't know it was "The Danube" -- I thought it was just "Danube." I wonder, should Zagat list it as "Danube, The"?

Steven,

I have never fully bought into the Austro-Hungarian thing at Danube either, and just the thought of it kept me from trying it for some time.  However I finally visited about a year ago (I was stuck working in the city on Thanksgiving, and treated myself to a solo meal at Danube in consolation), and have been back on occasion.  While it has never satisfied me in the same way as Bouley Bakery, I think it holds its own among the best restaurants in NYC in terms of quality and value.  What follows is a description of Danube that I sent in an e-mail to a friend and fellow foodie.  While I can't compare the food to what was being served during the time frame of your visit several years ago, it will give you an idea of my general impressions.

7 Oct 01

I had a great evening at Danube on Friday, though it still left me wishing slightly for Bouley Bakery.  The dinner was a birthday celebration for a friend, and so there were seven of us.  I had originally tried to reserve a table at Bouley Bakery, but they are still using their kitchens with the Red Cross to provide food to the rescue workers.  I have to say that the service and attitude of the staff at Danube could not have been better.  Some of my guests were late, and since Danube's phones are still out of service, I had no way to call to let them know.  Also, 3 of the group arrived in town at the last minute.  We showed up 45 minutes late with 3 extra people, and the manager went out of his way to accommodate us.  In addition, I brought two bottles of excellent red Burgundy, since I really didn't want to drink Austrian reds or have to choose from Danube's somewhat limited selection of French and American red wine.  I told the manager that I would be happy to start with a white from their list, and while I realized that they didn't usually allow BYOB, that perhaps our table could make a donation to their Red Cross effort in lieu of buying red wines from their list.  They took all of this in stride and served our wines alongside the excellent Austrian Riesling (1998 Pichler from the Wachau region) we chose from their extensive list.

We did the tasting menu, and everything was first rate both in presentation and flavor.  The highlight for me was the lobster and homemade ravioli in a light saffron/mango (and a bit of cumin maybe?) broth.  Other seafood courses included a “perfect” raw oyster and a slightly heated shrimp.  The only nod to Austria was a schnitzel thing (fried veal I guess), which didn't do much for me.   The main meat course was lamb, which was excellent but nothing particularly transcendental.  For me the wines were the most satisfying aspect of the meal.  Danube has a great list of Austrian whites from the best producers, and many of  these wines are very tough to come by in the US.  While Danube’s other wines tend to be overpriced (though no more so than at Jean Georges, Daniel, and other competitors in NYC), the Austrian wines are a better value.  Also we had a Kracher dessert wine (late harvest Reisling), that was out of this world - the next best thing this side of Chateau D’ Yquem in terms of concentration and depth.  

I have to admit I still prefer Bouley Bakery for the food, which in my humble opinion is better in terms of flavor and concept.   To me, the presentation at Danube is a bit too formal or over the top.  Maybe I just don’t quite buy into the Austrian concept, so it ends up distracting me unnecessarily.  It's sort of the same way I feel about Daniel vs. Cafe Boulud, I prefer the slightly simpler and direct approach at CB to the super-refined dishes at Daniel.  Danube still carries through with some of the Bouley magic though, and is definitely worth a visit.  The tasting menu at ๠ is also somewhat of a bargain when compared to the prices at some competitors.  In addition, for some reason unknown to me, the service at Danube is usually superior to that at Bouley Bakery.   The atmosphere is much more sophisticated as well - it really is a gorgeous dining room, and makes a great backdrop for a special occasion.  

One tiny detail that also works in Danube’s favor - their unique house cocktail of champagne infused with elderflower essence is a winner.  Everyone in our dinner party loved it - even guys like me that usually won't be seen at a bar drinking anything but scotch or bourbon.  Sipping one of these in the elegant Danube cocktail bar is a much better way to start one’s evening than hanging out on the street outside Bouley Bakery (which has no bar or waiting area).  

(Edited by Felonius at 2:40 pm on Oct. 17, 2001)

(Edited by Felonius at 2:44 pm on Oct. 17, 2001)

(Edited by Felonius at 2:46 pm on Oct. 17, 2001)

Now you guys got me all confused. Is it "Blue Danube Waltz" or "The Blue Danube Waltz?"

And guess what. Is it pronounced "Dan-yoob" or "Danoob"? I'm serious because I chastized a friend who pronounced it "Danoob" (She is a non-German speaking American), but a few weeks later I heard a German friend say "Danoob" as well. Peter W., how about some help?

• 2 weeks later...

I haven't been to Bouley Bakery but went to the original Bouley every chance I got, always for lunch.  I've been to Danube twice, once lunch, and once dinner.  Not only was lunch great, but it was similar to the very first time I went to Danube, delicious bordering on astonishing.

When I went back for dinner, it somehow wasn't as good.  The perfect balance and counterpoint to the flavors wasn't there, so instead of layered multidimensional waves of flavors, I experienced it more as a one note dish.

Interestingly, other friends have said that lunch is always super, but not dinner.  Try lunch if you go.

PS the room is exquisite.

beachfan

• 1 year later...

From Sept 2-7, Danube is open for lunch. Bouley will be closed for that week and Danube menu will offer some stuff from Bouley.

I've never been to Danube and always thought Wallse would be my introduction to this Austrian-French (correct me if I'm wrong) food. But now I might have to go for Danube.

Any thoughts on food at Wallse vs Danube?

JJ Goode

Co-author of Serious Barbecue, which is in stores now!

www.jjgoode.com

"For those of you following along, JJ is one of these hummingbird-metabolism types. He weighs something like eleven pounds but he can eat more than me and Jason put together..." -Fat Guy

Danube and Wallse aren't particularly comparable in my mind, despite the Austrian theme. While both offer a sort of Austrian-inspired nouvelle cuisine, I'd say that Wallse is the more "Austrian" of the two. Danube's chef has also moved away this theme over time, and I'd say that the food there is much more French or Continental than Austrian these days.

A few other thoughts:

Danube is considerably more expensive.

Danube is much more formal.

Wallse has more of a casual, artsy feel - befitting its location in the West Village.

Danube has perhaps the most beautiful dining room in NYC.

I have enjoyed Wallse, though I'm not the biggest fan of their type of cuisine.

I have eaten at Danube many times, though not in the past 6 months. While the food has never impressed me as much as some of the competition in its price range (i.e. Daniel, Cafe Boulud, Jean Georges), I have thoroughly enjoyed my meals there. The setting is very romantic, and feels more like 1920's Paris or Austria than 21st century NYC. The service has always been excellent, much better than at its neighbor Bouley. The Austrian wine list is one of the most extensive you'll find in America, and the staff can be relied upon to give good wine advice to the uninitiated. The manager, Walter Kriejeck (spelling?) is a great guy - one of the few truly hospitable restaurant managers I've found at a high-end NYC restaurant (why can't Babbo have a guy like this?). He loves to talk about food and wine, and has entertained me in the bar over a good bottle of Kracher with amusing stories from his long career in the business.

The moral of the story? Give Danube a try! Now that I think of it, it's time for me to pay them a visit too....

One more thing, be sure to try their house "Danube cocktail". It's champagne flavored with elderflower essence, I think. A bit sweet, but VERY good in my opinion.

• 3 months later...

Anyone else been to Danube? I just recd a copy of his cookbook, "East of Paris" which is essentially a huge advertisement for Danube and includes many of the dishes from the restaurant.

What is everyone's impressions of the place?

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

I have been there once and was very impressed, perhaps more so by the overall atmosphere and service than the food. Don't get me wrong.... the food was excellent but it was the overall experience that made it most memorable. I have little experience with high end restaurants but my dining companion, who has eaten at Nobu, Bouley, Daniel etc felt that it was very good - perhaps not quite up there with the best but very good.

I think it was the friendly yet unobtrusive nature of the service that impressed me the most. We had reservations for the earliest seating time due to plans for attending a show. The dining room was not quite ready to open at the appointed time and we were immediately offered a Danube cocktail gratis. My friend enjoyed hers as well as mine (no alcohol for me). IIRC we had a $75 tasting menu and I was mostly impressed by the food - nice presentation, subtle combinations of flavors although not too daring in any respect. One of our mains was roast suckling pig - the first and only time I've had it and I thought the flavor was delicate but needed some balance that was lacking. It was my birthday and they comped us one dessert without any such suggestions on our part. The chocolate souffle is the signature dessert - very good but a trifle too dry in the center for my taste. The creme brulee they comped us was IMHO better executed. Overall, a truly memorable evening and a place I would visit again. The room is high ceilinged, very subdued, remarkably quiet for a NYC restaurant and has Klimt (or Klimt style) paintings adorning verious areas - a very romantic feel.

• 4 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Went to Danube for dessert after Megu last night. The dessert at Danube had beat out our entire meal at Megu both in taste, quality and inventiveness. The vanilla brulee in a green apple cloud with meyer lemon ice cream was to die for. It managed to achieve a dessert that was creamy, crisp and fresh all at the same time. The asparagus ice cream that JJ ordered was interesting without being weird. Never in a million years would I think that I would actually like this place as much as I do.

Ya-Roo Yang aka "Bond Girl"

The Adventures of Bond Girl

I don't ask for much, but whatever you do give me, make it of the highest quality.

My strawberry rhubarb gratin with a black sesame crisp and white asparagus ice cream was a wild-sounding dish that ended up just being damn good. It wasn't until the asparagus ice cream had dissolved in my mouth that the vegetal flavor came through -- clear, vivid, white asparagus!

JJ Goode

Co-author of Serious Barbecue, which is in stores now!

www.jjgoode.com

"For those of you following along, JJ is one of these hummingbird-metabolism types. He weighs something like eleven pounds but he can eat more than me and Jason put together..." -Fat Guy

My strawberry rhubarb gratin with a black sesame crisp and white asparagus ice cream was a wild-sounding dish that ended up just being damn good. It wasn't until the asparagus ice cream had dissolved in my mouth that the vegetal flavor came through -- clear, vivid, white asparagus!

As a lot of you know, i am a dessert fiend, last friday i went to blue hill soley for their passionfruit souffle,,,, the weirder the dessert the better for me. At the now closed Papillion when Liebrendt (sp?) was chef, I had a great wasabi sorbet served on a block of ice, but one of my favorite desserts of all time was when I was visiting a friend in Louisville KY. Ron and I went to a Vietnamese restaurant and I had this incredible avocado milkshake, i couldnt quite explain it and i was very hesitant before I ordered it, but it was smoothy and creamy and avocado-y, soooo good! - and yes, green.

"Is there anything here that wasn't brutally slaughtered" Lisa Simpson at a BBQ

"I think that the veal might have died from lonliness"

Homer

ok, this is the craziest dessert, I could go every day for a week just to try them all! DIO MIO!

Desserts

Crisp Caramel Strudel with Bartlett Pears, Aged Balsamic

and Riesling Ice Cream

“Topfenpalatschinken” Warm Wild Huckleberry Crêpes

Huckleberry Sorbet and Topfen Ice Cream

Austrian Chocolate Hazelnut Soufflé with Kumquats, Blood Oranges

Chocolate Sorbet and Chocolate Chip Ice Cream

Pineapple Sorbet with Anis Marshmallow

Candied Violets, Pomegranate and Pernod

Apple Brûlée

Vanilla Brûlée with a Granny Smith Apple Cloud

Persimmon Sauce and Meyer Lemon Ice Cream

Quince Tatin with Yogurt and Ginger Caramel, Bourbon, Fresh Passion Fruit

and Yogurt-Vanilla Ice Cream

Malakoff Cake with Passion Fruit Brûlée, Mint Granité

and Coconut Milk Sorbet

“Bohemian Liwanzen”

Plum and Topfen Pancakes

with Plum Ragout and Stroh Rum Ice Cream

could someone kindly tell me what the bolded items are please! thanks

Homer

sorry I couldnt resist posting this, its sounds so good~~!!

Early Spring Menu

Chilled Spring Organic Pea Soup with Avocado

Jalapeno Pepper and Sweet Florida Shrimp

Or

Roasted Sweet Organic Beets, Horseradish Fromage Blanc

And Toasted Pumpkin Seed Dressing

~~~

Gently Heated Atlantic Salmon with Styrian “Wurzelgemüse”

Apple Rosemary Purée and Horseradish-Chive Sauce

Or

Roasted Rack of Colorado Lamb with Vegetable Barley

Glazed Cipollini Onion and Sweet Potato Purée

~~~

Elderflower Soup with Rhubarb, Elderberries and Topfen Sorbet

~~~ “Topfenpalatschinken” Warm Wild Huckleberry Crèpes

with Wild Huckleberry Sorbet and Topfen Ice Cream

Or

Crisp Caramel Strudel with Bartlett Pears, Aged Balsamic

and Riesling Ice Cream

$55

Homer

“Topfenpalatschinken”

Basically these words are just german (I think) words that mean what the english is saying. Palatschinken is a a pancakes with filling. So these crepes are filled with I believe (If I remember correctly) topfen and huckleberry.

This is one of the "signature" desserts that is always on the menu.

"Bohemian Liwanzen"

Again Liwanzen is referring to a pancake. In this case its a yeast pancake. The recipe for this dessert is in the east of paris book (bouley' book).

I think all of the desserts over at danube and bouley are pretty impressive. I spent a couple of days in the kitchen over there last month and everyone there is very talented.

Mike

The Dairy Show

Special Edition 3-In The Kitchen at Momofuku Milk Bar