• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Help A Total Newbie

KAPDADDY

I'd like to find a good, tasty, low alcohol wine to ease my way into the wine world. I do not drink at all so have no idea where to start looking. I've had a few wine coolers over the years and enjoyed those but don't know if they're even worth discussing. Anyone have any suggestions?

German Rieslings are frequently under 9 percent alcohol, some as low as 7.5 . As we have discussed elsewhere on the site, they are a great match for just about any kind of food as they have a high acid content as well, making it suitable for spicy and ethnic cuisines as well as delicate shellfish dishes.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

Kapdaddy, first of all it's great that you've made the decision to acquire the taste for wine. Please keep us posted as this effort evolves.

Can you give us an idea of where you live? This will help determine what resources are available to you.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

By "low alcohol" do you mean "not fortified"? Wines can vary quite a bit in their levels, but I wouldn't recommend limiting your tastings to only low alcohol wines (very yummy German Reislings, not withstanding).

I don't think there is any a particularly bad place to start. Try a variety or find someone in your local store that can recommend good valued bottles and/or their personal favourites.

To certain extent price will be a guide, although there are very many exceptions.

I would recommend trying as much as you can. (I'm still doing that.) :biggrin:

Malcolm Jolley

Gremolata.com

KAPDADDY:

Congrats on your decision to educate yourself in the pleasures of the vine! trink30.gif

Try this site: Local Wine Events and you should hopefully be able to locate some wine tastings, dinners and classes near you where you can increase your exposure exponentially, and learn what your personal preferences are that much quicker. The suggestion for German Riesling as a starting point is an excellent one, but I think that taking a "Wine 101" or "How to Taste Wine" seminar for starters might be more useful than a specific wine recommendation. Without the tools to evaluate, and knowledge of what you're "looking for", any specific recommendation will just be being evaluated "blindly", so to speak.

Cheers,

Katie

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

The only reason I specified low alcohol wines is because I'm not sure how well my body will be able to deal with the different levels. I was born with a rare nervous disorder that effects my entire body including my metabolism. Given my condition, I need to get started as slowly as possible. I'd like to be able to enjoy a glass or two without ending up totally hammered.

As for location, I live in Houston. There's a Spec's and a Central Market nearby. There may be some other places, but those are the only two I can think of right now. Thanks for all the suggestions so far!

Moscato from Italy might be a thought as well. It's usually around 5.5% alcohol and it doesn't get much (any) lower than that in the wine world. Add that to the fact that it's a fruity, off dry bubbly that's very easy to drink on a patio, and I think you might have your wine induction right there.

I would totally agree with KatieLoeb's suggestion to find an introductory seminar or course that would give you some useful general knowledge to help ease your 'fall' into the infinite worlds of wine. Getting to know and enjoy wine is well worth the effort, and you will soon thank yourself... :smile:

Also, along the lines of futronic's suggestion, are portugese vhino verde (green wine) which fruity, light low-alcohol perfect for summer fare in the sun. And very cheap too! Well-chilled of course. Good luck!