• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Pacific NW BBQ Competion & Demostration 8/23

This Saturday, August 23 we are all invited to attend "Low and Slow", Pacific Northwest Barbeque Competion sponsed by the Seattle PI. Milk Advisory Board, Washington Wine Commision, City of Seattle and Others. "Steve Raichen", star of "Barbeque U" on PBS TV ,author of the "Barbeque Bible", "Rick Browne", star of "Barbeque America" on PBS TV author of "Grilling America", and "Bruce Aldell's", Sausage Expert and Manufacturer of the Sausages that, Fly out of Costco and Sams Club, will be giving demos and samples, plus answering your questions. There will also be Demos by well known NW Chefs. 25 Barbeque Teams, are Competing for Prizes.. Items: Sausage, Produce [Veggies], Triangle Tip, Chicken and Ribs. Hour's are from 10:00 AM until the 3:00 PM Awards Ceremony. "Hsiao-Ching Chou" Food Writter, will be the Emcee and instigated this event. In my opinion she has become one of Americas finest food topic writers. Just think a Barbeque Competition with Vegetables? Never thought that would happen. The event will be held at Seattle's "University Farmers Market" between University Avenue from 50th to 52nd Streets. It Free to the Public. Hope to see you "NWer's" there.

I don't say that I do. But don't let it get around that I don't.

col klink: What would you like me to eat, in your absence. I'll report about it's taste, texture and flavor. Or if you wish i'll be glad to freeze you some for when you return. Of course i'd only save your samples from the First Prize Winners. Nothing less would be good enough. The Triangle Tip ? The Vegetables ? The Ribs ? The Chicken ? The Sausage ? Rick Brown's, "Beer Butt Chicken" [non-competitor]. ? All may be your abeit in Freezer Bags, but i'll tell you about the fresh off the fire taste. Today's newspaper the PI "Life and Arts", section has pictures and a pull out, just for drooling. Best picture of Barbequed Ribs this summer. Even most photo's of the Artist's and Competiters look like me, Grey Beard's, proper eaters physique. I'll be right in my element. Irwin'

Steven Raichlen and Hsiao-Ching Chou are going to be on KUOW (94.9) at 10:00 AM today to discuss "The Art of Barbecuing" and will be taking questions from callers.

"Save Donald Duck and Fuck Wolfgang Puck."

-- State Senator John Burton, joking about

how the bill to ban production of foie gras in

California was summarized for signing by

Gov. Schwarzenegger.

"Mamster", made his appearence but missed out by not presenting his press credentials. There was a VIP invitation at the NWBA Booth and the Judges locations waiting for him. He was going to have the opportunity to Judge several of the competitions. Being obligated to try some of the bestest and mostest, sample baggies included. Plus e-Gullet had the exclusive for being permitted in to the judging area. That would have been interestng, a chance to wear two hats. Only way I found out that he was there was thru "Post -Intelligencer", Reporters and Photographers who were coveting the goodies, but weren't allowed to taste. WEll since there was a opening, yours truly as a responsable eater, pitched in and ate my share, objectively as a Judge. Even was filmed for a documentry being produced for PBS about "Hsaio-Ching Chou", the PI's food writer, who organized and set up this event toether with "Rick Naug" of PNWB Assosciation. it was very successfull with a crowd in excess of 5000 attending with 25 competitors. Hope it becomes a annual event. If you weren't there you missed out on real good Que, plus I bought 6 baskets of farm raised "Fraisboise Tiny Strawberries", that are so sweet and delicious that i'm tearing, over then with my" Devon Clotted Cream" and "Deamerra Brown Sugar", with a few drops of "Chamboard Liquor. Yeah for the "Farmers Markets".