• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Help me with a dinner menu?

guajolote

You can tell I took the picture of the sexy sox because it's yellow :wacko:

Actually I took that myself after we arrived home. :shock:

Oh yes, the linoleum :blink: floors give it away.

Remember my comment about the previous owners? Lovingly referred to by me as "The Half-Asses"?

Wood floors are on the list. :wink:

Bourbon Slush - 5 regular-size teabags; 1 12-oz can frozen lemonade; 2 C boiling water, 1 6-oz can frozen OJ; 1 C sugar; 2 C bourbon; 5 C water.  Let tea steep in boiling water until good and strong.  Add all remaining ingredients and freeze for at least 24 hours, stirring as often as is practical.  To serve, fill glasses half-full with slush and top off with Squirt.  (You can use 7Up or Sprite or ginger ale, but Squirt is best.)

Jaymes, I'll buy the ingredients if you make this for the pig pickin'. Mmmmmm. Tea .......... bourbon ............ citrus .............. pig.

I could not get the thought of this flavor combination out of my mind, so I made the Bourbon Slush last Friday after work. Couldn't wait so we started on them Saturday afternoon. My husband & I are both hooked. Delicious with ginger ale -- I picked up some Sprite to try next -- unfortunately haven't found Squirt around here yet. Had some last night again with seared pork and tomatillo salsa in homemade flour tortillas.

Can't wait for the next opportunity to make barbecue or get a pig roast invitation -- as far as I'm concerned, it's become a necessity. Thank you so much, Jaymes. My husband said they could pass for one of our vintage tiki drinks -- some of them actually used whisky instead of rum so it's not that much of a stretch.

Queen of Grilled Cheese

NJ, USA

• 2 weeks later...

Finally. Everything comes together. We've been trying to get down the shore to see my parents' new sailboat. They recently got a propane grill for the boat. We had a batch of slush in the freezer. They call me the night before & tell me they're making ribs and could I bring a salad?

Man oh man, what could be better than country-style ribs and pork chops with Daddy's bbq sauce and The Slush on a beautiful September day on the bay? I also created the "Harvey Wallbanger" salad for the occasion -- red-leaf greens with caramelized black grapes, candied pecans, and lightly pickled julienned unripe peach, dressed with a brilliant if-I-do-say-so-myself dressing of fresh OJ, Galliano, shallot, rice & sherry vinegars, and a splash of EVOO. The only thing lacking was a bit more contrast (and vodka to live up to its namesake) -- tried to achieve it with the pickled peach, but it wasn't enough. Too sweet.

Bourbon. Citrus. Pig. Wind in the sails and family all around. Almost heaven.

P.S.: I think I'll leave out the sugar or cut it down next time (in the Slush). Always thought I had a sweet tooth but I guess I'm finally growing up.

Queen of Grilled Cheese

NJ, USA