• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

advice please

neophyte

Greetings all!

I found this place by accident. Cool!

So...I have a friend coming into town this week who is a food/wine lover. He lives in Manhattan and always takes me to swank yummy hip places when I'm there. I want to reciprocate by taking him someplace fun in DC with great food and wine, but where?

Some suggestions given to me have been Makoto (I've never been), Ten Penh, Citronelle (where we'd probably sit at the bar, rather than downstairs--looking for a fun/casual/intimate space)--and now I'm hearing things about Nectar...Palena...what about Obelisk? Not necessarily looking for a grand meal--perhaps a series of terrific appetizers and glasses of wine....

any other recs? feedback? ideas?

thanks!

newbie.

Dear newbie,

I'm the wine dude at Citronelle. The bar is fun. If the weather is ok you can sit outside on the terrace, also. Look in the restaurant before you decide. You might like it.

Makoto is great fun. Completely different from any other DC Japanese restaurant. Make sure to get stools on the right side of the sushi bar so you can chat up Ito-san.

Nectar has become a favorite of mine, too. The bar is really cosy and you can get food there. Maxi-eclectic, interesting wine list.

Grab a booth at Oceanaire and order a grand seafood tower and a nice bottle of white wine. That's one of my favorite places.

Check out Cafe 15 in the Sofitel at 15th & H. Chic place with some of Washington's best food. The Bar is also tres soigné.

Mark

Thanks for your rec. Basilgirl...which however brings up another topic/disagreement.

I have been to Zaytinya's twice and, *pace* everyone in my office who seems to love it, I did not find it very appealing. Though I was duly impressed by the sleek space and the DC chic scene (if that is not an oxymoron), the service was poor (though understandably as they were quite crowded) and the food so so. The first time, I enjoyed the apricot pine nut carrot fritters (probably the high light) , the pitas were fluffy and warm, and I picked on a decent eggplant salad (though Lebanese taverna's is better) . But I found many of the plates (kibbeh, squid,) over salted, over oiled or simply lacking in distinct flavors. Still, I wasn't too put off to try again...

the next time I went, around 11 pm, I sat at the bar where the bartender strongly encouraged me to try an Ouzotini. Alas, it was horrendous and I sent it back (which didn't stop him from charging me for it...). But even worse was the flaccid, rubbery grilled octopus, sitting limply in a reddish pool of sauce which was supposed to hint of wine and tomatoes. And, instead of the piping hot Spanikopita we ordered, we were brought a plate of uninspired cabbage balls which we thought of sending back but our food took so long the first time and we were so hungry (and by this time a little drunk) that we decided not to bother waiting. We paid the bill and left, got home and ordered a pizza from Albertos.

Now, I have not tried the desserts there, and there menu is huge, so perhaps I am not ordering the right things. Anyone who begs to differ and can point me to the right mezze to order, please do and perhaps I'll give it a third try. But not this week.

I guess you shouldn't recommend a place you haven't been to. :blink:

I just figured that the mezze style menu and wines would suit you.

A friend of mine and my boss just can't say enough good things about this place.

Let us know where you wind up!

I love cooking with wine. Sometimes I even put it in the food.

Yes everyone (almost, anyway) I know loves it too. Which makes me wonder if I'm insane (probably) or picky (definitely). But I think I'm following "the Wine Dude's" suggestions --most, if not all them anyway: a drink at Cafe 15, followed by food and of course wine at Citronelle (I'll be at the bar, Mark!) and, if there's still inclination/appetite, maybe just split the cheese course at Nectar with a final glass.

I'll give the report Thurs, assuming I'm still conscious.

My advice on surviving Oeanairre--in any city--is to stick to the simple preparations. All the fish is fresh, and the less you give the kitchen an opportunity to ruin the fish the better it is for everyone concerned.

Enjoy the fresh oysters. Enjoy the grilled this and that. But stay away from the complicated preparations.

And then order a baked Alaska for dessert.

Bruce

My advice on surviving Oeanairre--in any city--is to stick to the simple preparations.  All the fish is fresh, and the less you give the kitchen an opportunity to ruin the fish the better it is for everyone concerned.

Enjoy the fresh oysters.  Enjoy the grilled this and that.  But stay away from the complicated preparations.

And then order a baked Alaska for dessert.

Bruce

But Bruce,

They used to have the most awesome fried seafood platter. One of my guilty pleasures. They no longer offer it at dinner.

Mark